B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Where is the TCU located? Other tiptronic q's (99 early)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Default Where is the TCU located? Other tiptronic q's (99 early)

Good day fellow audi enthusiasts!

I am ready to pull my TCU and have a tiptronic chip installed! Now I just have to find it Would any of you good chaps happen to know where it can be found?

Also, does anyone else experience "the lurch"? When I am at low speed "stop and go" situations (10-15 mph)and I let off the gas, it gives the same decel lurch/bounce as you would get with a 5-speed in low gear/high rpmsuddenly letting off the gas. I've never had an automatic do the lurch. Is this normal for audi a4's?

One more thing...more of a comment than a question but....what the heck is the point of a 5 speed automatic if you're still pulling 3k on the highway. You'd think they'd install dual overdrives rather than dual first gears! Sheesh! Those wacky germans!

Old 07-01-2008, 03:32 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Where is the TCU located? Other tiptronic q's (99 early)

The TCU is located under the passenger side carpet

remove the kick panel, remove the door sill trim piece and pull up the carpet - there will be a black box that has a clip holding it together - push down on the clip and open the case. the TCU is connected with a harness. there is a lever on the harness, pull up on the lever and the harness will push itself off the TCU. Then send it out.

is the lurch when you in tip mode, full auto or both?

Old 07-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Default RE: Where is the TCU located? Other tiptronic q's (99 early)

Thanks dude!! Allright, I'm off to hunt down my TCU!!

The lurch is in both. Sort of like driving a standard around in first gear and stepping on and off the gas quickly. Violent changes in acceleration. It feels like other autos usually...."freewheel" using the torque converter when you try to engine brake but this one feels like a standard when you let off the gas, its instant and sudden engine braking. Really disturbs my passengers.

I love it.....well...as long as I'm not hurting anything. Maybe it'show it's builtor maybe its the AWD. Not sure if this is standard behaviour.