B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Where to get Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Default Where to get Alignment

1999 A4 1.8t Quattro Wagon. I replaced the Tie-end rods and R/F axel on my wagon. Now I need an alignment because the steering wheel is slightly left when going straight. Do I have to get this done at the stealership (dealership) or can I get it done somewhere else? Thanks

Old 05-05-2009, 06:26 PM

I would recommend taking it to the dealership...they generally charge somewhere between 80-90$ and know our cars like the backs of their hands...

gl!

Old 05-05-2009, 08:08 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

^ i second on that or if you have good relationship with a shop.

that's what i should've done. when i took mine to another shop they insisted that it was aligned as best they could, but it's still slightly off.

$80 though? thats freaking cheap.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:06 PM

I got an alignment at my local certified audi shop last week for 89$ after tax

Old 05-06-2009, 11:16 AM

The local dealership quoted me $149, which is insane for an alignment.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:35 PM
3rd Gear

ouch. Cross post this in the regional board for your area, they will most likely be able to give you the names of some specific shops in your area.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Administrator

From what you're describing, it sounds like you need to re-balanced the wheels, not an alignment.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by qUaTtRoA4
I would recommend taking it to the dealership...they generally charge somewhere between 80-90$ and know our cars like the backs of their hands...

gl!
Ha Ha Ha, oh that's so funny! Well maybe it's true for you but;

While it's true that they should know the cars like the back of their hands the truth is that your car is a number and getting it done faster means making more money. AND THAT RULES.

Here on the east coast, greater NYC area dealers are charging around $200+ for a 4 wheel alignment. Sometimes as low as $160 on "special".

I'd go to an independent suspension shop that A.) Has the right equipment and knowledge and B.) Actually gives a damn.

Giving a damn trumps "knowing the car like the back of their hand" every time. My experience with dealerships is that yes they have the knowledge, but they are as quick to shortcut as anyone, and their prices are quite high. They'll also be happy to sell you the Brooklyn bridge. BTW, yes there was a time that I too was a believer in the dealership hype. No more, way too much water under that bridge.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:58 PM

^ i have stealership horror stories just like most everyone on here...

I have a local shop that is vw/audi certified...they do amazing work and back it all

I am a DIY guy...I have saved myself at least 5K a year on maintenance labor...

I could take my car to some random alignment place, but i have one of 5 audis in my town of 100,000 people...so, a random alignment shop would 100% undoubtedly be learning as they go....and guess and check is the last game I want some ******** to play with my suspension/steering....

find a certified audi/vw shop...doesn't have to be the dealer, but it needs to be a nice reputable shop that specializes in our cars....

gl!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:46 AM
1st Gear

qUaTtRoA4,

I agree with you 100%. Note that I suggested:
"An independent with the correct equipment and knowledge"

I was NOT suggesting the local Midas franchise. (with apologies to any highly competent Midas techs, I'm sure there are some out there)

I might be wrong, but I don't believe that VW / Audi "certifies" any independent shops, at least none that I've ever seen. There are however independent shops that specialize in VW / Audi repairs many of whom have techs who have VW / Audi training.

As a DIY'er you (like I) know that it's not magic. It's ability coupled with the willingness to learn and follow procedure wherever necessary. Hence "someone who gives a damn".

In short: FIND SOMEONE WHO'S DONE IT BEFORE. PREFERABLY MANY TIMES.

Quick Reply: Where to get Alignment