B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Wheels, trim, and paint. The trifecta.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Wheels, trim, and paint. The trifecta.

Ho-kay,

So the weather is beginning to warm here on the balmy shores of Eastern Connecticut, and it's time for me to start attacking this list of things I've been waiting to do for months.

First, my tires are about ready to completely explode. I know, probably a big deal. That's why I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new set. Since I'm already committing to tires, I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to acquire a new set of wheels. I have a set of these, and they do an admirable job of... providing weight distribution and all that, but they're 15", they came with the car, and I want something nicer to look at. I'll probably use the old ones for snow tires later this year.

Anyway, I'm interested in a new set of OEM wheels. Not sure what size, probably 18". I have no plans of lowering the vehicle so I don't think this will be much of a problem. Can you guys recommend any good resources that sell such Audi OEM wheel goodness? I'd prefer OEM over OER, if possible, but I'd settle if they were quality and from a trusted source. I do like the look of a flush 5 or 6 spoke, perhaps similar to the S4. I'm looking toward later model years, since they look much nicer and the bolt patterns are the same anyway.

Now, onto the trim. Lower door trim to be exact, it's more or less begging for me to replace it. Again, any good suggestions? I've checked the requisite list of vendors for prices, but I mention this more so because I'm interested to see if anyone might have a creative solution that doesn't cost a fortune.

Lastly, just checking to see if anyone has any good advice for making the factory paint look a little newer. I'm referring to smaller solutions, relatively speaking, to remove scratches or other blemishes without simply repainting everything. The scratches are not really significant by any means, but they do bother me from time to time because while others may not notice it, I know its there. Again, any creative or ingenious solutions here?

By the way, I live literally down the street from FCP Groton now, so if you guys want a price check or something let me know.

Last edited by jokeabus; 05-23-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:53 AM
vgo
2nd Gear

if you arent using OEM sport springs, i bet you you'll end up lowering your car.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Former Sponsor

That 15" you have is 7x15 as you know, and 45mm offset and offset plays a part into the wheels you can use. The ETKA parts program shows 7x16 with 45mm offset and a 5 spoke wheel part number 8E0601025C Z17 for 262.50 dollars each. I didn't see a 5 or 6 spoke 17 inch wheel though. I did see a 9 spoke that was either 319.38 (7.5X17 43MM offset) or 437.50 (7.5x17 45mm offset) but it didn't tell me or show me the difference between the two part number listed other than what I stated already. I didn't see 18's ever used OEM on the B5's.

You'll have to research if 18's will fit without interference, see if others have done that and what offsets they used if it's even possible. I hope these specs help you out. Any questions please let us know. Thank you, Jeff.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by vgo
if you arent using OEM sport springs, i bet you you'll end up lowering your car.
Mine does have the sport package.

As for the wheels, I know that other models have the same bolt pattern and offset for larger diameter alloys. However, what's the reccomended size here? What have you guys put on your cars?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:49 PM
3rd Gear

I'm running S4/S8 replicas I bought off Power Wheels Pro. They are 18x8 with a 45 offset. I'm also lowered on H&R sport springs as well. No rubbing. The 45 offset places the wheels flush eith the fender as well. I'll attach a photo as soon as I can....damn phone won't let me

Old 05-24-2011, 01:50 PM
3rd Gear

Many owners who have 18" wheels run 225/40-18 as a tire size as well....

Old 05-24-2011, 03:52 PM
3rd Gear

If you ran a set up like Obnoxious, I'd approve. Not slammed or low, but he killed enough of the gap that it looks good and is respectable.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:08 PM
3rd Gear

Awww Nick that means so much to me, seeing as I love your stance better. As for the photos I promised:
Name:  IMAG0246.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  37.2 KB
That 2 finger gap is all around.

Name:  IMAG0248.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  133.3 KB

I'll try to take some side shots to show you how well the 45 offset pushes the wheels to the fender.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:23 PM
3rd Gear

<3!!!

Old 05-24-2011, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

I highly recommend Conti DWS's for tires. Really good on dry road, and excellent rain and snow traction. They wear pretty good for a performance tire, too.

Quick Reply: Wheels, trim, and paint. The trifecta.