B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

almost positive its correct.

Not sure if I should order the parts or just get it done through a job, id rather not pay $100 for each bearing where I could get them for 50 though.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

This isn't what i'd call a DIY job, those have to be pressed out of the hub. If your friend can do that, then more power to him, though he may be thinking of slapping on a bolt on hub assembly.

But, installation notwithstanding, It's probably better to grab the parts from your local Napa, who will stock SKF or another reputable brand, just to make it easier if you get the wrong one.

You could also pull your hubs and take em over to a Napa/mechanic and have em press the bearing for you.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:16 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by RandomAudiOwner
This isn't what i'd call a DIY job, those have to be pressed out of the hub. If your friend can do that, then more power to him, though he may be thinking of slapping on a bolt on hub assembly.

But, installation notwithstanding, It's probably better to grab the parts from your local Napa, who will stock SKF or another reputable brand, just to make it easier if you get the wrong one.

You could also pull your hubs and take em over to a Napa/mechanic and have em press the bearing for you.
This is your best bet. I had my ENTIRE front end pulled form the car to address multiple suspension issues.....I figured is might as well do the bearings as well. If I didn't have the whole knuckle out from the car I probably would have killed myself. Even using proper tools, we destroyed a shop press. Just to give you some perspective.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:19 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ObnoxiousDrunk
This is your best bet. I had my ENTIRE front end pulled form the car to address multiple suspension issues.....I figured is might as well do the bearings as well. If I didn't have the whole knuckle out from the car I probably would have killed myself. Even using proper tools, we destroyed a shop press. Just to give you some perspective.
should of asked Godzille to get them out for you! How did you destroy a press thats crazy

Old 04-30-2011, 06:39 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Audisaurus
should of asked Godzille to get them out for you! How did you destroy a press thats crazy
The press wasn't a "heavy duty" press but a shop press none-the-less. The bearings were stubborn as ****......we kept working it and then it happened....it was loud and scary.....my buddy was not happy. I have since purchased a new press for said friend.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

I have a 20 ton press, looks like it was built out of railroad tracks. I've done a thousand bearings like this, but the stuck ones are still scary, once you get some pressure going, the energy stored in that thing is immense.

Still, not as frightening as the strut press letting go of the spring suddenly. The joys of using equipment older than you are!

Old 05-01-2011, 08:50 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by RandomAudiOwner
I have a 20 ton press, looks like it was built out of railroad tracks. I've done a thousand bearings like this, but the stuck ones are still scary, once you get some pressure going, the energy stored in that thing is immense.

Still, not as frightening as the strut press letting go of the spring suddenly. The joys of using equipment older than you are!
You should be good with a 20 ton press, we were using something much smaller. And yes I have also had the pleasure of having spring compressor fail. Not cool.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:13 AM
2nd Gear

hearing it snap im sure would bring a pretty good scare. I guess mine wernt stuck that bad.