B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by hartsoe1
jbj, i love you man, but he seems like a newer owner who is looking for advice - of course, as I read it he has taken his rig in for $1,500 worth of repairs already. He must have a sweet ride by now. He ain't buyin a press. I might, though. Please keep it real. K?
I think any DIYer could benefit from a press. I cant even count how many times ive used mine. It was more a iniversal piece of info about a press not 100 directed to the OP. I think anyone can judge their ability to do the work that is infront of them. So hopefully someone (not saying you sbaer) that cant turn a wrench to change wheels, isnt going to buy a press. Hopefully.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

If it's making noise, get it done now. Don't wait for 14 months and drive at 100+ mph on the autobahn. It gets expensive fast. New wheel bearing housing, hub, bearing, eccentric bolt and labor = 1,100€ = $1,400. But it was at an Audi dealer, I was about 40 miles from home.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by planedr65
If it's making noise, get it done now. Don't wait for 14 months and drive at 100+ mph on the autobahn. It gets expensive fast. New wheel bearing housing, hub, bearing, eccentric bolt and labor = 1,100€ = $1,400. But it was at an Audi dealer, I was about 40 miles from home.
im not driving the car as of now because im at school...i am going to figure out the source of the sound tomorrow after i install new Valve cover gaskets and cam chain tensioner. The have to diagnose this check engine code making check engine light stay on :/...but yeah hopefully its not a bearing and i would NEVER take my car to the "stealership" thats just asking to get ripped off and they dont even do good work most of the time

also im in america...i wish i was going 120 down the autobahn!

Old 03-02-2013, 03:35 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sbaer2
im not driving the car as of now because im at school...i am going to figure out the source of the sound tomorrow after i install new Valve cover gaskets and cam chain tensioner. The have to diagnose this check engine code making check engine light stay on :/...but yeah hopefully its not a bearing and i would NEVER take my car to the "stealership" thats just asking to get ripped off and they dont even do good work most of the time

also im in america...i wish i was going 120 down the autobahn!
In the states you can find independent mechanics who will do it cheaper, but are they using factory parts? And do they warranty their work? I got genuine Audi parts and a 1 year warranty. Here all the cheap parts are Polish or Czech made and they suck worse that Chinese made crap in the states.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:25 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by planedr65
In the states you can find independent mechanics who will do it cheaper, but are they using factory parts? And do they warranty their work? I got genuine Audi parts and a 1 year warranty. Here all the cheap parts are Polish or Czech made and they suck worse that Chinese made crap in the states.
Well it turned out to be a stuck caliper. I ended up getting new one and fixed problem. My guy I work with is an Audi tech and only gets euro grade parts , oil, coolant etc. but yeah car is running once again