B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:23 PM
1st Gear
Default wheel bearing?

hey so i have a 2000 audi a4 2.8 30v...to be direct and to the point there is a noise coming from the rear of my car while breaking. If i downshift to a stop the noise is not there but only when i apply brakes. I recently replaced pads/rotors all around..

anyway the noise sounds like a swishing and sounds like it is going in a circle (this probably doesnt make sense to anyone) but any ideas or suggestions will be helpful.

I will try to post a video of noise but probably wont be until thursday since im at school.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:50 PM

wheel bearing. jack the car and wiggle the wheel.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
wheel bearing. jack the car and wiggle the wheel.
well im currently at school and car is in shop back home due to a leaky valve gasket im hoping its nothing more serious. (would of done work myself but its new engine and i would of lost warranty)....but a wheel bearing is a pretty easy job on these cars?..i now the part is around 75 bucks at advanced auto

Old 02-26-2013, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

I like blauparts for my wheel bearings. it is NOT and easy job. you need to pull the wheel bearing housing and take it to a shop and have it pressed out and back in, including the hub. Just a thought about the noise, make sure the rotor splash guard didn't get bent and pressed up against the rotor while you were doing the pads all around. maybe if you had a $500 Hub Shark you could do in in place.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:58 PM

or... take the hour it takes to get the spindle off, go buy a $150 12 ton press that can be used for more than just hubs, do it yourself. Take the $350 you just saved on a hub shark or to pay a shop to do it and throw a party

Old 02-26-2013, 05:05 PM
1st Gear

JBJ, once I buy my $150 press, how much more do I need to spend on the proper accessories to do the normal jobs of a press, including bearing pressing hardware. You are assuming I already have a puller for the hub. Its is all good because I'm ready for a $350 party.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:59 PM

I'd recomend picking up a bearing press kit like this Bearing Separator and Puller Set but its not necessary. It makes it easier in some cases but I have done plenty without it. Pick up random pieces of metal also like square tubing, pipe to cut up, ect... it all comes in handy somewhere along the line.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
I'd recomend picking up a bearing press kit like this Bearing Separator and Puller Set but its not necessary. It makes it easier in some cases but I have done plenty without it. Pick up random pieces of metal also like square tubing, pipe to cut up, ect... it all comes in handy somewhere along the line.
nice! thanks for the link and advice. I am going to be home thursday to check it out more and diagnose it but im hoping it may just be a rubbing splash guard or something with brakes. Changing wheel bearing sounds like a PITA ...ill post up here when i figure out what it was thanks again

Old 02-26-2013, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

jbj, i love you man, but he seems like a newer owner who is looking for advice - of course, as I read it he has taken his rig in for $1,500 worth of repairs already. He must have a sweet ride by now. He ain't buyin a press. I might, though. Please keep it real. K?

Old 02-27-2013, 08:04 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hartsoe1
jbj, i love you man, but he seems like a newer owner who is looking for advice - of course, as I read it he has taken his rig in for $1,500 worth of repairs already. He must have a sweet ride by now. He ain't buyin a press. I might, though. Please keep it real. K?
well im not a newer owner. I had a 1996 12v before my 2000 30v but only with this most recent purchase have become more obsessed with maintenance, modifications, and overall DIY and minor upgrades. I have dumped well over $5000 into this 2000 B5 between new engine, clutch kit, spark plugs/wires, front end work, brakes, etc....but yeah wheel bearing job sounds like a time consuming job and i dont think its a bearing based on what i have read and researched...i should know by end of day or tomorrow ill let you know

Quick Reply: wheel bearing?