B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What's up with raceland coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Actual WIZARD
Default What's up with raceland coilovers?

I was looking at the How low is your low thread, and saw aledelics post with the dumped jetta on racelands. A quick google search gave me their website, as well as a 60 page vortex thread saying everything from they will suck, to they are better than vmaxx/are exactly vmaxx but rebranded, to can't beat the price/they are too cheap. So I want to know from the people I tend to trust more, does anyone have/tried a set, and how do they like them? for $308 shipped, you really can't beat the price, and it seems they go lower than the vmaxx set because of the thread placement.

Side question: Opinions on road sign skid plates? I called the public works guy for my city, and hes looking into seeing if I can buy an old one (pretty impressed I didn't just steal one, but hey, I'm not like that) If you like the idea, what shape would you use, multiple plates, etc. Im FWD so I'm only worried about the oil and trans pans really

Old 09-17-2010, 03:13 AM
2nd Gear

Here's the thing with cheap coilovers. I have v-maxx so this is just from my experiences. These coilovers are designed to lower your car...that's it. I know that sounds simple, but hear me out. When you get into the better quality, more expensive sets, they do more than just adjust the ride height. These cheap coils are for...astetic purposes if you will. I'm sure that your handling will improve a little bit, but I really didn't notice much when I did mine. The ride comfort, atleast for the v-maxx isn't bad. Believe me, it's definetly not stock, but I don't mind driving distance with them. Basically, you will lose some of the luxury of stock handling, but it's not going to be so bad that you can tell if you can over a filtered or non-filtered cigarette. When you start getting into more aggressive driving, cornering, things like that, you want the better set of coilovers. Those sets are designed to drastically improve handling and keep you planted on the road. They also provide a ride comfort that IS comparable to stock. If you are lowering your car just to lower it, then those coilovers or v-maxx will be just fine.
Here's something else to consider when you lower your car. You are goiong to begin to wear out suspension parts much faster than if youo had stock sus

Old 09-17-2010, 03:18 AM
2nd Gear

pension. Be prepared to possibly be doing control arms, ball joints, things like that. I'm not saying that you put the new coils on and BAM, they are all fvcked, but its probably going to need to be done at some point. Also, you will need an alignment or you are going to wear you tires out after 4000 miles. I know from when I did my coilovers, my camber in the front of my car was shitty. The backs of our cars have a camber adjustment washer, but the fronts do not have it that easy. You have to purchase a seperate camber correction kit and it is very expensive. Just remember to rotate your tires quite regularly and you should be able to get plenty of life out of them. Hope this helps. Are you doing the install yourself?

Old 09-18-2010, 01:27 AM
Actual WIZARD

My dads going to let me borrow a stall at his job, so with his 12+ years experience, plus a decent place to work and a 4 wheel alignment machine, I tthink ill be good. I don't know now about it with the extra wear though... I just cruise my car anyway, so no real cornering

Old 09-18-2010, 02:53 AM
1st Gear

Adding camber helps to corner better (to an extent). If you just "cruise" your tire wear with a dropped car, but not the proper alignment with the adjustable front suspension arms, you are going to wear the inside of your tires quite fast. They would actually last longer if you were to corner This is why road cars come with usually little to no camber at all 4 corners. I would love to lower my car, but am unwilling to drop the $2K needed just to have a correct street setup, as our A4s are generally worth only 2-3x that....

Old 09-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Actual WIZARD

Id be afraid that the racelannds would blow up if I went at any turns... They have to be 300 for a reason

Old 09-18-2010, 05:18 PM
3rd Gear

Don't cheap out on coilovers, although Alex did say they ride nice for being so slammed.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:03 PM
3rd Gear

I've been in a few mk3 and mk4 vw's with raceland and they do ride pretty nicely slammed. I couldn't even fit my finger under some spots on the jetta that I posted and it was kind of bouncy but it barely felt much different than stock. other than hitting things and rubbing. if they are just rebadged vmaxx, I would not recommend them for a b5 audi... I think someone posted in that how low is your low thread who had racelands. probably you'd be better off buying used coils

Old 09-18-2010, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

IMO they're pretty good for the price.
they ride pretty good and go reallllllly low