B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Whats up guys...new here with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Default Whats up guys...new here with a few questions

Hey guys im new to the forum and to audi's. I just bought a silver 01 a4 1.8t with the sport package and i have to say that i love this damn thing! I had a jeep wrangler before and obviously it's a night and day difference. I've been doing a lot of research here on the forum before i joined but im still learning and i have a couple questions...

My check engine light comes on every once in a while and says i have a random misfires in cylinders 1, 2 and 3...if i disconnect the battery the lights shuts off and doesn't usually come back on for 100 miles or so. The thing is it doesn't feel like it's misfiring, it runs smooth and with plenty of power...i also got a code once stating that the engine is running lean...any ideas?

My next question is about my first upgrade. I'm trying to decide if i should install a boost gauge first or save up for a chip and get that installed first. Any input?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Tech Guru

well, first figure out about the mis, i would say it is time to either replace your plugs or coil packs... i would say if you change the packs, change the plugs.... know of any maintenance that has been done to it?

i would do timing belt/water pump, also check your vac lines, make sure they are all good

then yes a boost guage/tune would be a good upgrade, but you will need to do your dv too

your maf might be causing the issue as well.... but i would start with coils and plugs.. take it to the dealer let them check your vin to see if your car has been given the free updated coils, if not... then that will be a cheap fix lol

Old 05-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Welcome! You should read the stickies atop the the B5 forum, TONS of useful info there. Misfires could be any number of things. Normally the first suggestion is to swap coilpacks between a cylinder thats misfiring and one that isn't, but with that many misfires that might be tough to do, you could still try it? Engine running lean could be a bad MAF sensor. How many times have those same codes come back after you clear them?

As for your first upgrade, DEFINITELY go with the boost gauge. That will help you immensely in the future. Lets see some pics of the car!

Old 05-19-2010, 01:08 AM

Plugs are pretty new NGK's and i checked the gaps to make sure they're at .32 so i dont think its those but like you said i was thinking it could be the coils. The weird thing is the coils on cylinders 1,2 and 3 are different than the one on cylinder 4. The ones on the first 3 have a black top and you can just pull them up off the plug, but the one on 4 is bolted to the engine...are they different coils?

About the timing belt, i knew that it would have to be replaced with 122,000 miles on the car so i worked out a deal with the dealer and they agreed to replace the timing belt, serpentine belt, and water pump before i bought it so i should be all set for a while with those.

If changing the coils doesn't work i'll probably replace the MAF. I figure i'll do this myself to keep costs down if it isn't too difficult. Where is the MAF located and how hard is it to replace? Also, where can i find a replacement MAF?

Thanks for the boost gauge suggestion, looks like that'll be my first upgrade

I'll be sure to get some pics up tomorrow too!

Last edited by JG1.8T; 05-19-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:31 AM
Administrator

All the coilpacks should be able to come straight off. However, there are some issues (in rare cases) that the coilpack wouldn't stay. In which case, there are brackets or some DIY brackets you could make to hold it in place. I think that could be what's holding it in.

The MAF is located where the airbox is, which is on the left side of the car when you're looking at the engine bay from the front.

And boost gauge should be a good first mod as you'll be able to tell if you have any boost leaks and everything is running smoothly. The chip usually comes with a DV upgrade as the stock DV wouldn't be able to hold the boost after chipping.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Tech Guru

i picked up 4 coils from autozone cause i was having a miss late one night... and i would get a soft cel and intermidant as well.... those 3 coils could be crappy or az coils and that is your issue

like krip said if you want the bolt down, get the clamps or make your own

Old 05-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kriptonik
All the coilpacks should be able to come straight off. However, there are some issues (in rare cases) that the coilpack wouldn't stay. In which case, there are brackets or some DIY brackets you could make to hold it in place. I think that could be what's holding it in.
All mine bolt down...

Old 05-19-2010, 01:17 PM

Thanks guys i'll probably get some new coils and see if that fixes the problem...the weird thing is i never feel the engine miss, its always smooth and powerful but it must be missing occasionally cause thats what the codes say.

If that doesnt work how go i go about removing the maf...i know its in the air box now but how would i go about removing the box and the maf?

Old 05-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Guru

it is under the lid of the airbox, remove that, and i think it is two screws holding it in...

it has been so long since my was fastened down that i can't remember, but it is under the lid

Old 05-19-2010, 08:29 PM

Alright guys, as requested, here are the pics

Whats up guys...new here with a few questions-imag0002%5B1%5D.jpg

Whats up guys...new here with a few questions-imag0005%5B1%5D.jpg

Quick Reply: Whats up guys...new here with a few questions