B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What's the hose above the oil filter (coolant line)? 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:33 AM
1st Gear
Default What's the hose above the oil filter (coolant line)? 1.8T

Just bought a 1999 Audi a4 1.8t and i got it cheap cause it has a coolant leak. I traced the leak to a hose above the oil filter. There are 2 hoses there and I notice one has a tear in it. Does anyone know what hoses they are and what part numbers so I can replace it?

Old 02-13-2010, 10:31 AM
2nd Gear

I don't have the part numbers but I suppose you're talking about the coolant lines going to the oil cooler and if you're replacing those you might as well replace the cooler too. It's inexpensive and a good precaution.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:54 AM
2nd Gear

Nah, don't replace the cooler for no reason. Inspect it and see if it needs it. Get new hoses (cheap, cheap, cheap! lucky you, because every other repair you'll need to do is going to be expensive, expensive, expensive!) and wire brush away the crap on the cooler. Expect a fair amount of coolant to drain so have something to catch it (you might want to drain it from the water pump or the bottom of the radiator first because that won't make such a mess).

While you are touching the oil cooler, you could consider removing it and replacing the oil seal between it and the block because those do leak. If you want to do that, do an oil change as well IMO, though if you don't want to do that, you will be able to get away with topping your oil off after you're done if you don't empty the filter.

For coolant, you only want the VAG stuff or whatever is in your car. You can use green coolant or whatever you want but don't mix it with the VAG coolant. So order some of that or go to the dealer and get some if that's what your car still has. And wash off any that gets on your car because that stuff is bad for paint and bad for some types of plastic, etc.

To take the cooler off, you take off the oil filter, then take off the nut on the oil filter's shaft, then the cooler should break loose. If you take it off, you are replacing the seal (also really cheap). I would do something with the coolant before taking it off.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies. Now how do I find out the part numbers to the coolant lines to the oil cooler and for the oil cooler seal? Is there an Audi website that has a breakdown of parts for the a4? Is there something like the bmws where you select your model and it gives you a detailed view of every part on the car? Also, is it best to tackle this job from up top or underneath the car? Thanks for the help.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:43 PM
2nd Gear