B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What's the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:54 AM
1st Gear
Default What's the difference?

Whats the difference between having a VAG COM scan or having Autozone use their code reader?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:58 AM
1st Gear

Generic obd2 scaners in vw/audi cases will missinterpret the codes and it will not erase certain codes and u will not be able to access the abs control module , airbag and more ,in the other hand vag-com can do all that and more just search this forum and u will find out what a vag com can do

Old 03-10-2011, 10:04 AM
1st Gear

Thanks erasmmuss,

That being said, does somebody have one that is close to my area? I am in Columbia, SC. Have an CEL and Airbag light on, had autozone read it (PO411) and a list of possible problems.

All help will be greatley appreciated.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Administrator

apart from just scanning for and erasing trouble codes, having a VAG com also allows you to log specific measuring blocks for more detailed information that a generic OBDII scanner just can't provide. Air/Fuel ratios, ignition, timing, fueling, temperatures of various and assorted things, crap like that. It also allows you to edit these blocks to change the way the car behaves or turn certain features on/off. It's not tuning software per-say, but you can turn on convenience features, delete the horn honk when arming the alarm, **** like that.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

P0411 is an error meaning 'secondary air pump - incorrect flow'

Do you hear a loud, high-pitched whine when you start the car when the car is cold/hasn't been run and warmed up yet?

If so, your secondary air pump could be bad.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:27 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Gumby,
After doing my research on that code, that pretty much what I gathered too. Being this is my first Audi and my first turbo, I have no clue what a secondary air pump is. As for as the high pitch sound, it's been pretty warm down here in South Carolina (60's and 70's), so am not sure I would hear that noise this time of the year. By the way, just bought the car a week ago, CEL was not on then.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

The air pump is just for emissions control. If you live in a state that doesn't check emissions you can just disable it. I have had mine disabled on my Volvo for years. It does not negatively effect the operation of the car in any way.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

Is there any sure way to find out if the pump really is the problem? Under that code PO411, it gives you 3 different things it could be.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by krazzz
The air pump is just for emissions control. If you live in a state that doesn't check emissions you can just disable it. I have had mine disabled on my Volvo for years. It does not negatively effect the operation of the car in any way.
The worst advice you can ever give someone,is to ignore a problem with your car. I would advice him to look into it and try to get it fix,ignoring a problem,can and will result in the enitial problem,causing another problem.

Audi cars are not the same as a volvo,you don't get to ignore **** on our cars and think it will go away,audi cars need nothing short of being spoiled and pampered,not ignored and neglected.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:38 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
The worst advice you can ever give someone,is to ignore a problem with your car. I would advice him to look into it and try to get it fix,ignoring a problem,can and will result in the enitial problem,causing another problem.

Audi cars are not the same as a volvo,you don't get to ignore **** on our cars and think it will go away,audi cars need nothing short of being spoiled and pampered,not ignored and neglected.
You couldn't be more wrong, the SAI system does absolutely nothing apart from emissions. Sure you can't ignore all problems, but in this case you can delete it and disable it in software with the right tune and your car won't run any worse than before, and you won't get a code for it either.

Also, before jumping right to the pump, check the hoses that go to it. They're plastic and tend to break, which would give you that code. My car throws that code every once in a while because one of the hoses doesn't fit properly anymore and comes loose sometimes.

Quick Reply: What's the difference?