B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What's the cut off for buying hi mileage cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:52 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation What's the cut off for buying hi mileage cars?

I'm looking for a B5 a4, most likely a facelift model. I have a always liked them, and have heard they're actually pretty reliable. I kind of want an Avant because they're pretty sweet looking in my opinion. But avant, or not all the ones in my price range (4000 max) have 140-180k. I'll take the 1.8 or the 2.8. I plan on maintaining the car very well. What do you guys say to getting one of these higher mileage cars. And I know, I know, it depends on the how the previous owner drove and maintained the car, but can I depend on one of these cars for at least another 30-40k?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Tech Guru

i have a 1.8t with about 140k on it and running strong, i know there are members with almost 300k.... depends on what you plan... i will keep mine till it is dead, then i will rebuild the motor.... just got to be ready to replace wear items

Old 01-03-2011, 11:04 PM
1st Gear

i bought mine with 155k and now it burns oil like a bitch. it's the 2.8 30v

i plan on either going unique with a TDI engine of out a golf or something, or just go 1.8T
better gas mileage, and a turbo. love

Old 01-03-2011, 11:08 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Really depends on how good the previous owner was about maintenance. Some high mileage cars are really solid and should last for quite a while. Others have been dogged and will give you nothing but problems. Also depends on how you plan to use it. If you need reliable transportation that is going to be a quick turn around at the shop I would advise against the Audi. Even simple stuff takes twice as long (exaggeration but not much) as it would on a ricer. If your total budget is only 4K max, I would not recommend that you buy an Audi unless you are a pretty major gear head. Maintenance is going to kill you.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 PM
1st Gear

I'll be fine with the maintenance(Dad's a mechanic anything I don't know, he does), I just don't want to be dealing with blown headgaskets, etc. I'll be commuting with it. It's awd and has a great interior, sounds great for a winter commute. I hasd a freind tell me they were weird to work on...whats the deal with that?

And 4000 is the max price im willing to pay for the car initially. I understand there's going to be maintenance with any higher mileage car.

@twoeightquattro Diesel would be sweet. I know I'm new, but I've always loved diesel in a car. They just hold their value too much. I'm fairly cheap haha

Last edited by shaferbm; 01-03-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

the weird things about audi, are that when you think that something will work, it most likely won't and the simplest things turn into the hardest things haha. you have to have patience with these cars, or know how to work on them.

there is always about 20 extra steps that you have to take, to do something that would usually take about 4 steps on something else

Old 01-04-2011, 12:34 AM
2nd Gear

158,495. exactly

Old 01-04-2011, 02:49 AM
1st Gear

Also: Although I do all my own work I've never dealt with turbos, and it seems the turbos on the 1.8 motors can be problematic. How can it tell if one might be going when I look at the car? Low power? Bad throttle response? What would I look for?

Old 01-04-2011, 06:11 AM
Administrator

They come with low power direct from the factory. Heavy exhaust smoke and the dentist drill sound are the usual giveaways for a failing turbo.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:05 AM
1st Gear

You're looking for one like I found. Owned and maintained well to start life, handed down to a kid in college who started letting things slide due to lack of money (but did oil changes regularly and kept it clean). Got it for $3100 with 121k on it and known problems (old timing belt, cam tensioner, tires, etc), all of which I researched here first. Put $1500 in parts and a lot of sweat into it. It has been a thing of beauty since.

Quick Reply: What's the cut off for buying hi mileage cars?