B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What is your Oil Temp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Default What is your Oil Temp?

Had this in another thread and got nothing so....
Just looking to see if you guys could post your operating oil temps. 10-15 minutes of driving would be about right I think. I'm at 225. Haven't had time to check out my oil cooler and I'm getting worried.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:46 PM

I'll have to double check but I think Just under 200? maybe 175-190.
I'll double check when I go out to drive in a bit.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

I am waiting to get my car back from the shop with the new oil cooler. Mine was running at 225. The oil cooler was leaking and blocking the oil from passing through and cooling off.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:44 PM
4th Gear

im right at 200ish and with hard driving get it upto 225

Old 03-20-2009, 12:02 AM

I drove around for 40min and at the end did some hard pulls with hard braking.
I just got the car so I'm not sure if it's normal or not. But in the 5 days i've had it,
cruising on the Highway, city or mixed this is where my oil temp stays about.
This was taken tonight. In the last few days I've seen temps from 28* to 80+*

I got it 5days ago with 99,506 miles and tonight crossed over to 100,000

Heres the picture. This is the Hottest it has ever gotten. (in the last 5days)
This is with some hard driving. It normally stays just a bit lower,

Old 03-21-2009, 01:32 AM
1st Gear
Question

I picked up the car today from the shop. Had the oil cooler replaced since it was leaking coolant. Also had the coolant system flushed. Unfortunatly the previous owner used Stop Leak in the cooling system. It clogged up the flushing machine. They were able to get it to flush, but now there is a little of the old coolant skimming the top. (Previous owner was using green coolant.) The mechanic recommended having it reflushed in about a month. He said he only changed the oil cooler since it was leaking. He didn't think the oil temp was higher than normal.

Now here is the wierd part. The oil temprature is still running between 225 and 250. I am not sure what to think at this point. The mechanic says this is normal for these cars. He ran the car hooked up to the computer for a while and he said everything was how it should be. I just don't understand how some people's cars run cooler and some run hotter.

Does anyone have any other advice? I noticed in another thread that someone was talking about the coolant guage acting strange and the oil temps running high. Someone said to check the belts.

I am at a loss at this point.
I guess I just run it until a light comes on???

Old 03-21-2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by akasha
I picked up the car today from the shop. Had the oil cooler replaced since it was leaking coolant. Also had the coolant system flushed. Unfortunatly the previous owner used Stop Leak in the cooling system. It clogged up the flushing machine. They were able to get it to flush, but now there is a little of the old coolant skimming the top. (Previous owner was using green coolant.) The mechanic recommended having it reflushed in about a month. He said he only changed the oil cooler since it was leaking. He didn't think the oil temp was higher than normal.

Now here is the wierd part. The oil temprature is still running between 225 and 250. I am not sure what to think at this point. The mechanic says this is normal for these cars. He ran the car hooked up to the computer for a while and he said everything was how it should be. I just don't understand how some people's cars run cooler and some run hotter.

Does anyone have any other advice? I noticed in another thread that someone was talking about the coolant guage acting strange and the oil temps running high. Someone said to check the belts.

I am at a loss at this point.
I guess I just run it until a light comes on???
Wow, this is interesting now.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Tech Slut

what kind of oil are you running in it?

Old 03-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Yeah man I'd be concerned, the only time I've ever gotten mine above 200* is when i drove from Erie, PA to Virginia in June. The trunk, back seat, and front passenger seats were all full to the roof with my sh*t lol. I had to stop twice and let it cool off

Old 03-21-2009, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

I am running Mobil 1 Syn 5w 30

Quick Reply: What is your Oil Temp?