B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

what you guys think about this CL ad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 99A4NOW
I wish I could be as positive as the others on this thread. I tried selling my perfectly running car (99 A4 1.8TQM Sport) with high miles and no one felt it was worth it- and now here we have nearly the same car, not running right, and everyone thinks it's worth the price now. I just don't understand it.

I think any value you put on this car is going to be dependent on the proof of a "new" motor with 60K miles. I believe "new" ment "different" motor with 60K miles on it when it was replace and not a brand new motor put in 60K miles ago. So what proof would you have that the "new" motor only had 60K miles on it anyway- I believe people pretty much lie in cases like this. Doesn't matter what paperwork you have with the motor, there isn't going to be any warranty on it, no one is going to do anything for you if it takes a crap next week, and ultimately the history of that motor is completly unknown- could have been the hardest 60K miles ever put on a car (and why that car it was in doesn't exits any more). Personally I'd run away from this one, and I'd feel much more comfortable buying a car with high miles that runs right, with all of it's orginal major parts, than this one with questionable history. Just my opinion.
yeah, im goin to look at it tonight just to see for myself and ask for paperwork, but its gonna take a lot to impress me. i feel like hes askin a bit much. i know its a super sketch deal tho, thats why im planning on not getting it unless i see a really good sign

Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

It looks clean, but way too much money for what it is... IMO of course. Probably needs a MAF like everyone is thinking, as well as a cat due to the blow off valve. Check the timing belt too, might need that service soon which would suck for you if you bought it without checking that. A lot of people will buy a motor from a junk yard and put it in their car without replacing things like the timing belt and waterpump, etc..... they just save a couple hundred and let it be someone elses problem. I think he's asking way too much for a car that isn't running (most likely won't pass smog), scary that he just bought it and is selling it (reason is that it is a manual trans??), sounds like a lot of b.s. to me. There's a lot better deals out there.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:35 PM
2nd Gear

I'll give you my 2 cents on this...does he have paperwork? who replaced the engine? If he can PROVE he put in a new motor with 60k on it...GO FOR IT...if not, low ball him.....the rims are worth $, you can part the car out if need be (if you have time) and probably make more on it.....you can get money for all the parts if you take it apart, it's time consuming, but look around on CL and ebay..used mirrors go for $90, used airbag modules go for $64+, sensor go for $$$$, seats, dashes, interiors etc...BUT, if the motor is REALLY newer, GO FOR IT!!!!! and fix it.....

Old 09-09-2010, 10:22 PM
1st Gear

it was all so sketch, he had absolutely NO paperwork on anything and it was worse than i thought. previous owner before this guy swapped the engine because timing belt went, body was scuffed up, missing engine covers, airbox, cheap aftermarket bucket seats, PUSH BUTTON IGNITION jimmy rigged up, haha. bald tires, cheap stereo, crappy tint... i wasnt expecting much or too seriously, but i walked away kinda chuckling.