B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

what is this!? What is it for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:22 PM
6th Gear

not that I know of sorry I can't help much

Old 09-03-2008, 06:33 PM
1st Gear

does it make a noise through the speakers or makes a noise like the cooling fan inside the amp is rattling around? Does it stop if you power off the radio or unplug the amp? Just take it down and take a look and see what's going on. You won't hurt anything.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

Does it make any noise when the engine isn't running? Could be your hearing Ignition noise through the speakers.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Tech Guru

Thats actually a good point. We had an mp3 player hooked up to the tape deck of our truck and when we paused the music thats what we heard, except in ours in almost sounded like supercharger whine.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kendalll
does it make a noise through the speakers or makes a noise like the cooling fan inside the amp is rattling around? Does it stop if you power off the radio or unplug the amp? Just take it down and take a look and see what's going on. You won't hurt anything.
Yeah I think its the cooling fan. I have to turn the music loud so that its not that annoying...
No! it doesnt stop when i turn the radio off. I havent unplugged the amp, cause i didnt know what it was, but now ill try to unplug it and look around.

Thanks

Last edited by Isramirez21; 09-03-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Redrum1
Does it make any noise when the engine isn't running? Could be your hearing Ignition noise through the speakers.
No! The noise increases when Im in high speeds and it lessens when I slow down. I think it has to be with the amp's fan.

Thanks

Old 09-03-2008, 11:33 PM
2nd Gear

its not the amps fan... its feedback your getting... i dont know how or why it would suddenly just start doign this but i think you have a loose ground wire from your amp... look it up

"Where have you routed the rca cables? Is your earth secure and the same gauge if not more than your power wires? I had same problem when I put my amp in, but thats because my wiring was too close to the power and earth cables. Move them as far away as possible from your rca and speaker wires and it should do the trick. The sound you are hearing is alternator whine (im guessing it does it when car is running and gets worse with lights on)... Good luck hopefully solves your problem."

i think your problem is similar with the ground problem (not that yours is the wrong size or whatever) i think it jsut might have rattled loose or something but idk

Old 09-03-2008, 11:41 PM
5th Gear

ya it's def not the fan. i don't think there are any fans on the stock amp because there are definitely no holes to let the air through. it's the alternator you're hearing. i had the same problem when i wired up my second amp to the factory amp. i fudged up the wiring so bad, anybody would club me on the head if they saw the job lol. i have fixed it though and no more sound. it kinda sounds like a rc car but really annoying. what flynnr says is right. you probably have a loose ground somewhere. check the wires on the harness in the pic, they looked a little funny to me.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:55 AM
1st Gear

I'm gonna try to see if I can do something today.

Ill keep you guys updated!!

Thank you

Old 09-04-2008, 11:08 AM
2nd Gear

I have a similar whine that I'm pretty sure is an interference pattern from the alternator, its especially annoying because I have a manual so the pitch increases as the RPMs increase, and then I clutch to shift and it drops and then picks back up again. My only difference is it isnt coming from an amp, the Harman/Kardon ipod HUD I have listed in my sig pic is where the problem is. If I plug my ipod right into the aux jack, it doesnt do it, but if I have it plugged into the HUD it does so any electrical techies out there that could give me a starting place to check for loose connections to the earth or whatever? The system came with the car so I'm not sure how it was wired in the first place, and I dont know jack about wiring audio so any help would be appreciated. TIA