B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

what should i do about my brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 01:02 AM
1st Gear
Default what should i do about my brakes?

ok so i need new front rotors and pads and its going to be about 120 bucks for crappy pads and bottom line rotors from autozone and i found this one for 300 http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=810
i know ill still need to get pads and fluid but is it worth the money to go with the upgrade set and some nice hawk pads? and is there any other deals out there that i havent found? thanks

Old 10-23-2008, 01:10 AM
1st Gear

Unless your putting out a large amount more hp than stock you dont really need them. If your going to do that then youd probably want to get rear's too. Because the size difference would be alot worse, and personally i dont think it would look good with that much of a size difference, but who looks at your rotors anyways? But seriously if you dont have alot of HP you dont really need them. Regular rotors and pads will do fine. Just wear them in easily so they dont warp, which they shouldnt. Also do you have stock wheels? Make sure those rotors will fit inside the stock wheels if you get them.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Couldn't disagree with you more on buying this kit - that is a fantastic kit. I bought mine early this year (I got the drilled/slotted kit and Hawk pads) and along with the HIDs, it's the best money I've spent on my car. The OEM brakes are somewhat adequate, but having some extra braking capacity in reserve (which the OEM brakes do NOT have) is never a bad idea. And the cost of this upgrade is pretty minimal compared to the significant increase in stopping power that they give. Honestly, these are the brakes the car should've come with in the first place. Add in the fact that it's not all that much more than going to a dealership for OEM replacements and it's even better.

Rears don't matter much unless you race, since the bias is set up heavily favoring the front brakes (as in most cars). The size difference is no big deal - it's a functional upgrade that is a no-brainer for an A4. And the kit will fit inside stock 16" wheels, although not inside the 15" wheels that some cars came with.

One other member here drove my car after I installed them and was on the warpath to get a set VERY quickly afterward (he did and loves them too). Sick Boy, get 'em - you'll never regret a dime you spend on them.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:51 AM
3rd Gear

A8/TT upgrade (stage 1) is definitely the way to go. I have no idea why I haven't done it yet. Hawk pads are a nice upgrade too.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:54 AM
Administrator

Get on it man - you will love it for sure

Old 10-23-2008, 02:04 AM
1st Gear

its a tossup between a8/tt upgrade and this kit http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=3191. im leaning twords the kit cause i not hard on my brakes and it will take care of all 4 sets.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:05 AM
3rd Gear

^that's not an upgrade, it's just replacement parts.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:11 AM
1st Gear

its an upgrade from the shape that my brakes are in now haha

Old 10-23-2008, 04:26 AM

do what you can afford....I would suggest the a8 upgrade....but if you don't have the extra cash stick with the basics....

Old 10-23-2008, 10:26 AM
3rd Gear

why do people say you only need to increase your braking capacity when you have alot more horsepower. my 200hp A4 can go 140 mph the same as a 500hp A4 can. it just takes longer to get to that speed. brakes have nothing to do with the power of your car, but your driving style. if you drive hard and fast and need the ability to stop just as fast, then upgrade them.

Quick Reply: what should i do about my brakes?