B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What are the problems with your b5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:12 PM
2nd Gear

This is a good idea for a thread, will probably scare anyone else from buying a B5 tho :P

Here is my list:

1. Hand brake doesnt work
2. Windshield wiper tank leak
3. Brake wear sensor wont get off the dash
4. Oil level sensor doesnt read temp
5. O2 sensor is intermitent
6. Cracked windshield (not the b5's fault, ******* wiper)
7. On/off suspension related noises

Like others have said, I consider my b5 to be running relatively well :P

The sad part is I have a notepad file on my desktop to keep track of my b5 to do list.

EDIT: of course this wasnt including the driver seat tear, the nasty side mirrors and the usual broken interior pieces

Old 03-07-2011, 08:20 PM

Nothing major (luckily):

1. Cruise control hasn't worked since before I bought the car. All of the contacts on the CC stalk were bad so I cleaned them; now they are all good and CC still doesn't work. Gonna have to troubleshoot further (hoping the simple CC module fix will do it).

2. Car slightly pulls to right. Had a $110 "specialty" alignment done twice at Big-O tires (only paid once). My guess is it would need a subframe alignment... Don't think I'll be dishing out that kind of $$$ to the Audi dealer for a slight pull.

3. Rattling/clunking that increases over rougher road. Seems to go away when brakes are engaged. Thought it was a loose/worn passenger rear caliper bracket - replaced that - still has the same rattle Everything is tight, new bushings... Hoping its not strut mounts.

4. FWD (not really)

Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by noahjackson
For my 2000 A4 1.8t Quattro:

1. Turn signal/cruise control switch (turn signal lights work, but high beams don't always come on when pushed forward)
2. Tranny mounts, snub mount (ordered), and right/left motor mounts.
3. Rear passenger side window regulator (slid off track, and broke plastic pulley).
4. Air pump hose (previous owner duct-taped the whole thing)
5. Clamps for the T-shaped hose that the crankcase breather, pcv valve, big u-shaped metal hose plug into (couldn't get the clamps on when I replaced the crankcase breather hose, not enough room).
6. Rack & Pinion (leaks PSF, it's a slow leak so I'm not in a hurry to replace it.)
Hey man, I have a rear passenger side window regulator for sale, PM me if you're interested...

Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

1. Right rear wheel bearing. Effed up the first replacement one today and my wheel has even more play in it now Getting a new one tomorrow

2. Power steering pump is slowly dying (makes a horrible screech at certain rpm's

3. Front crank seal is leaking slightly. Not worrying about it til my next timing belt replacment which is 54k away, it doesn't leak that much

4. Oil cooler O-ring leak

5. Cruise doesn't work

6. Gauge cluster and radio lights have a mind of their own sometimes and flicker on and off randomly

Jeez, that's more than I thought. Lol.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Administrator

As I'm reading this thread, it's reminded me of some stuff that I had forgotten about lol

-torn driver's seat
-ripped passenger's side front CV boot
-dings on rear bumper from P.O.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:40 PM
3rd Gear

It's an audi

Old 03-07-2011, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

1. Ripp on driver seat cushion
2. Front passager window regulator dead
3. Rear passager window regulator dead
4. Dent driver side rear quarter pannel
5. Brake pad wear light on dash on all the time
6. Windshield washer tank leaking
7. Info display missing pixels and can't be seen durring the day
8. Cluch is on his last leg
9. Timing belt is due in 3k miles
10. ABS control module dead
11. Cruise control dead
12. Heated seats don't work.
Now this are the parts that i have allready recieve and they are waithing for the evo to come out from the shop so i can have something to drive,
Stage 2 cluch kit,timing belt kit,both win regulators,big brake kit from brembo,all vaccums and pvc hoses,vmaxx coil overs ,and while the car is in the bodyshop the cluster abd module and cruise module r gooing to be rebuilt, new colant tank and all seals for windshield washer ,and allso the front seats are gooing to be reupholsterd while the body is getting done, a and i almoust forgot all the mounts are here , so far i spent 4500 only on parts , and another 3000 is projected for body and full respray of the body ,seats,and electronics but i hope by thw time i am done this will the best looking b5 in the area

Old 03-07-2011, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

I am new to the forum and my b5 so this is great to get insight to my project.

my tranny (98 2.8L Quattro with tiptronic) is not acting very nice. It is as if I have to wait for the tranny to catch up with me before I can apply anything more then very slight throttle. It does not hold gear when i come to a quick stop and need to quickly start again. It seems to over rev when nearing an upshift when under moderate to heavy throttle. Also there is a smell of burning tranny fluid most of the time. I recently changed the fluid and filter. Not much improvement. Sounds a lot like a tranny rebuilt.

the airbag light is on. This is just a matter of getting to a vag-com.

The abs light is on. I suspect that I will need to have the control module rebuild. That is near to next on my list.

The car seems to be running rich. It bogs coming off idle and does not start when warm unless I provide a bit of throttle. Not sure what to do about this. I could use some advice in this area.

CC does not work, suspect module soder.

Suspension makes clunking sound when going over bumps.

Man I love this car. I got stuff to do for at least all of 2011!!

Being new to the forum I welcome some feed back.

Thanks

Old 03-07-2011, 10:12 PM
2nd Gear

wow,with the money are are going to spend on her,you could buy a different B5,that has NOTHING wrong with it!

I on the other hand,can't buy another B5 for the cost of a 1,275.00 used tranny with 58.000 miles and 400.00 labor to install it for a total of 1,440.00 for another b5 with NO problems whatsoever!

Old 03-08-2011, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

dude at least after i am done this car will last me at least 100k with no more problems
Originally Posted by morpheous
wow,with the money are are going to spend on her,you could buy a different B5,that has NOTHING wrong with it!

I on the other hand,can't buy another B5 for the cost of a 1,275.00 used tranny with 58.000 miles and 400.00 labor to install it for a total of 1,440.00 for another b5 with NO problems whatsoever!

Quick Reply: What are the problems with your b5?