B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What are the problems with your b5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:04 PM
1st Gear
Default What are the problems with your b5?

We all love our cars to death, but what are the current problems on yours right now?

For me it's the following:

Turn signal barely working (Bought new hazard switch, should arrive soon)
Drivers side window doesn't roll up when fully down (Will look into that)
And last but not least, the car pulls to the right a little (Will change tires and get a wheel alignment).

Old 03-07-2011, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

For my 2000 A4 1.8t Quattro:

1. Turn signal/cruise control switch (turn signal lights work, but high beams don't always come on when pushed forward)
2. Tranny mounts, snub mount (ordered), and right/left motor mounts.
3. Rear passenger side window regulator (slid off track, and broke plastic pulley).
4. Air pump hose (previous owner duct-taped the whole thing)
5. Clamps for the T-shaped hose that the crankcase breather, pcv valve, big u-shaped metal hose plug into (couldn't get the clamps on when I replaced the crankcase breather hose, not enough room).
6. Rack & Pinion (leaks PSF, it's a slow leak so I'm not in a hurry to replace it.)

Old 03-07-2011, 01:35 PM
1st Gear

had mine for 3yrs
love mine to my only problem is mine is in storage. Has been for 5mo. By choice so i could stock pile parts. Good
list thus far. Waiting for g2 to arrive called pes today they are waitin on injectors. Booty!!! Parts in body shop waiting on lz7m paint to be sprayed. Just front lip rear bumber and skirts. ...... My cars problem is it runs just needs to be put back together

Old 03-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Administrator

-STILL chasing a lean code
-Short shifter needs to be adjusted again

On the grand scale of B5 problems, not bad at all. Though I do need to to my timing belt soon

Old 03-07-2011, 04:55 PM
2nd Gear

Well, assuming that my valve cover gasket and cam chain tensioner seals replacement job has solved my "burning oil smell in the cockpit", then I'm down to just a few:

- I've had a CEL since I changed the crankcase breather system, but the car is running fine, so for now that's on the back burner.

- I'm waiting for a new upper radiator hose to arrive so that I can replace the current leaking version.

- My driver's side HID headlight doesn't seem nearly as bright as the passenger side when I have the car pulled up to the garage door, so it's either a defective bulb or the casing on that side(which is about 4 years older than the passenger side) is too cloudy. I've got some new 35w 5000k bulbs arriving soon from DDM Tuning, so that ought to tell me where the problem lies.

In other words, just another day in the non-ending quest to keep old Brunnhilde alive.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

To many to list

Problems subject to change at any time without notice .

Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 PM
2nd Gear

2001 B5 AWM:

1 won't shift into 4th gear,need transmission rebuilt or replaced.

2 camshaft adjuster seal/valve cover gasket leaking

3 Left rear & right rear axle seals leaking differential fluid

4 secondary air vacuum lines leaking(may need vacuum hose to secondary air combi valve replaced)

CEL is on and vag-com results show the incorrect gear ratio and the vacuum DTC's I am working on getting the tranny rebuilt,waiting on the guy that will do it,waiting for a space to become available for Audina.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:19 PM
1st Gear

oil leak

needs new tranny fluid

needs cv boot replacement

Old 03-07-2011, 07:40 PM
1st Gear

Mine's

Stupid CEL for emission start up since i got her other then that run's like a Dime with a Big behind

Oh and so i dont kno why it did this recenlty i turned it on one day to go home from work and it put it's self in limp mode but i turned it off and on again and it went back to normal that still has me puzeld??

Old 03-07-2011, 07:56 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by noahjackson
For my 2000 A4 1.8t Quattro:
3. Rear passenger side window regulator (slid off track, and broke plastic pulley).
If you're talking about the little green round one at the bottom of the door, I have one. I ordered it, thinking it was what I needed to fix my window, but it was the wrong piece. It was only 15 buck, so I'm not stressing it. PM me your address and I'll drop it in the mail for you.

As for me:

1: right side lowers missing (have them now, but mother nature decided to be a bitch since they came in the mail)

2: Left side rocker panel cracked when it was really cold.

3: 6 inch crack on the inside of the windshield down in the right corner... another victim of the cold.

4: Slight coolant leak somewhere towards the front of the engine now (go figure, I finally got the coolant flange fixed!)

5: Driver window inop due to a different green plastic piece that busted (rectangular, if you know where to find one, let me know.)

6: Rock chips on the hood... and a weird pattern under the clear coat.

7: Couple dings and dent that I really wish would go away.

8: Wrinkle in the trunk, like the previous owner backed into something (but not too bad).

9: Usual tear in the driver's seat.

10: Front speakers blown, so the radio sounds like *** (but I like the sound of my Neuspeed cat back anyway).

11: Stock wheels

12: Stock height

Quick Reply: What are the problems with your b5?