B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

what is the potential of the stock turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: what is the potential of the stock turbo?

so who is the idiots that keep saying that anything over a k04 ([:'(]) will kill reliabilty? I want to punch them in the nuts

Old 04-18-2008, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

thanks alot for your input.. i was just curious to know the limits of the stock turbo.. now its just about trying to get the budget for the ELIM setup...

my dream is to b faster than Evo's & STI's.. gotta represent Quattro!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:48 PM

I think you would run into more reliability problems by pushing stuff to the limits than you would by upgrading it.

Why would you want to push the k03 to the limit, when you could just upgrade everything? Like everyone said, if you stick with good quality parts and DO IT RIGHT, then reliability won't be a problem.

They call them limits for a reason, the closer something gets to it's limit, the more likely it is to break.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: 01A4B5

my dream is to b faster than Evo's & STI's.. gotta represent Quattro!!!!!!!!!
yeah, your not going to do that without a lot more money. You may be able to keep up with a Evo with a stock turbo and cams, so keep dreaming.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

well i didnt plan on staying with the stock turbo.. i just wantd to kno for personal reference the limits of the stock turbo..

do u kno anything about the APR Intake manifold or AWE Drive Train Stabilizer? & also do u kno where i can find some high performance control arms? i keep finding the OEM replacement sets & 'slightly better' than OEM sets.. i am interested in upgrading the control arms when i eventually upgrade the whole suspension..

im currently saving up for GIAC ECU chip, H&R Springs, Bilstein Shocks, H&R front/rear sway bars, inlet hose & throttle body hose, & a high-flo cat.. estimated $2500

Old 04-18-2008, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

where did u get your crank, rods & pistons???

=]

Old 04-18-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm make believe

Depends on what engine you have for a crank, but its a AEG (for a 01+) or ABA (97-2000) and then the rest from qedpower.com. The rods are the same scats and the pistons have the pin moved up to account for the added stroke. Those 3 are about $1k for new rods, pistons and used crank.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:50 PM
5th Gear

well i didnt plan on staying with the stock turbo.. i just wantd to kno for personal reference the limits of the stock turbo..

do u kno anything about the APR Intake manifold or AWE Drive Train Stabilizer? & also do u kno where i can find some high performance control arms? i keep finding the OEM replacement sets & 'slightly better' than OEM sets.. i am interested in upgrading the control arms when i eventually upgrade the whole suspension..

im currently saving up for GIAC ECU chip, H&R Springs, Bilstein Shocks, H&R front/rear sway bars, inlet hose & throttle body hose, & a high-flo cat.. estimated $2500
apr doesn't sell their manifold seperate. only as part of their 5 grand kit. if you want a manifold look thru my BT guide at the top of the section. the awe DTS is overpriced. here's the exact same thing cheaper http://www.autospeedperformance.com/.../driveline.htm they help a lot but i would get new mounts before a DTS.

and you should get Unitronics instead of GIAC. that way when you switch over to a new turbo, it'll be much cheaper. also don't get an inlet or throttle body hose. those are just for looks. when you go BT you can replace them with hardpipes since you'll be doing an fmic and intake anyways.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:00 PM
1st Gear

your link doesnt work.. can u give me the definite one? & what about the control arms???

i hav the AWM B5 Quattro**

Old 04-18-2008, 09:08 PM
5th Gear

your link doesnt work.. can u give me the definite one? & what about the control arms???

i hav the AWM B5 Quattro**
looks like they revamped their site and raised their prices. its still 50 bucks cheaper than AWE, but it used to be like 200

http://www.autospeed.us/store.php?crn=223

Quick Reply: what is the potential of the stock turbo?