B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

is this what i can expect from audi?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 04:58 PM
1st Gear

sorry i've been a dick on this one, dealin with my own string of bad luck lately. anywho, i'm pretty sure these were from the o2 sensors. best bet would be to be prepped when you scan next and write down exactly what it says for each code. if it's a buddy using vag-com have him do a print screen and email it to you. then you could post that picture. people here really do need to know what it says exactly to get you the best help. that way you're not chasing problems that aren't really there. best o' luck dude.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

well this is the only forum i've ever been a part of that doesn't know what there own commonly used p-codes are.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:02 PM

Jesus guys settle down. Take a little breather. I think he gets it by now. How about we just don't post with rants and bitching. If he does not have enough info just don't freaking post. I have watch a thread from someone that didn't post enough info turn into to a damn feeding frenzy. I have also viewed countless new user quotes that were handled much better than this. Just my imo. I'm done.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:06 PM
1st Gear

thank you, i wish i did have more info, im used to working with people that really know there stuff, thought i could give you the briefe code description and p-code. my mistake.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Legal Moderator

the problem is you gotta be as specific as possible. a single code could be a whole host of problems. the first thread i ever started on here i only had one code up and i got so many responses to what it could be i had no idea where to start.
as far as your problem goes, if you had all the codes and none have come back, its likely not a serious problem. if you get any codes to actually come back, we could go from there.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

thats what im saying my only codes that keep coming back are as followe:
p1198 - radiator temperature sensor volts too high AND
p1199 - radiator temperature sensor volts too low

i get these at the same time but the car feels fine. i went to autozone and advance and all them, they all have there own way of wording it, but same codes.

my car is the 30 valve v6 on a 98. and im guessing it has something to do with the fan, which seems belt driven, i have never had a car w a belt driven fan before, but i can hear it in first gear it sounds like a mack truck's fan then i shift to second and dont hear it as loud. does that make it a little easier? lol.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Legal Moderator

dont know where you found those explanations for your codes but they are inaccurate. sense its a p1** code, that means, as stated before, a manufacturer specific code. that means a p1198 for a ford is different than p1198 for audi. the real meaning of your codes...
P1198 O2 Sensor Heater Circ.,Bank1-Sensor2 Electrical Malfunction
P1199 O2 Sensor Heater Circ.,Bank2-Sensor2 Electrical Malfunction
couldnt tell you exactly what it all means. first thought is that both 02 sensors are bad, but i couldnt really be sure. someone with more experience please chime in...

Old 04-13-2009, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

thanks for helping with that, that time i did try and do the research myself. both of those sensors are in or before the cat right? cuz i just had a catback made by lou's custom exhaust. could it just be from too much exhaust flow?

Old 04-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Legal Moderator

im guessing that your codes have something to do with your exhaust system you just had put in...
no, there is a pre-cat and post-cat sensor. hence bank1 o2 sensor is pre cat and bank2 is post cat

Old 04-13-2009, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

but its bank one sensor 2 meaning the one closest to the cat and bank 2 sensor 2 meaning after, furthest from the cat. that would be weird.

Quick Reply: is this what i can expect from audi?