B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What have you beat in your B5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 12:21 PM
1st Gear

I beat a Ford Aerostar the other day...I got super excited.

No joke, but a few weeks ago I was toying around with an 08 GTI and when I finally pulled to the a stop light, I looked inside the car and it was two old ladies in there laughing. No...I am not lying; though I wish I were.....

Old 11-04-2008, 12:44 PM
3rd Gear

Any FSI engine can spank us. A chipped 2.0 will embarass any chipped 1.8. Yes, 220 is slooooow as hell, I don't care what any B5 boy-racer says. If you drive a Stage II+ 2.7 or any 3.0L> BMW, etc you'll find out how sluggish a chipped 1.8 is.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:49 PM
3rd Gear

This older Monte Carlo was showing off today and when I pulled out he just pulled out in front of me spinning tires like no other but I shifted to 2nd early since he had just pulled out RIGHT in front of me and then mashed it from 15 mph up to 60 mph in 2nd and he didn't gain an inch I thought it was rather funny.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:45 PM
1st Gear

Well i was messing with a friend of mine who was in his parents brand new Nissan Altima and i was in my 99 a4 2.8qm. And he beat me off the line with his damn CVT tranny, but once i got her into 3rd he was just a white dot in my mirror. Ya i am still new with the clutch and i still have the original clutch in the car so i am still babying it until i can get a new clutch.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ramathorn
Well i was messing with a friend of mine who was in his parents brand new Nissan Altima and i was in my 99 a4 2.8qm. And he beat me off the line with his damn CVT tranny, but once i got her into 3rd he was just a white dot in my mirror. Ya i am still new with the clutch and i still have the original clutch in the car so i am still babying it until i can get a new clutch.
Nice, do you know what engine the altima had?? [i think it either comes with the 2.5 or 3.5 or something like that] cuz my friend wants to race me in his moms (i think '07) altima. he thinks he can beat me lol but his has the 2.5 (~175HP) so im pretty sure i'll beat him and i want to at least get something out of it so maybe i'll bet.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:09 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mexican47
Nice, do you know what engine the altima had?? [i think it either comes with the 2.5 or 3.5 or something like that] cuz my friend wants to race me in his moms (i think '07) altima. he thinks he can beat me lol but his has the 2.5 (~175HP) so im pretty sure i'll beat him and i want to at least get something out of it so maybe i'll bet.
I think the 3.5 is only in the Maxima but I could be wrong. If its got the 3.5 you don't stand a chance that thing pushes like 255hp and I have verified this driving one lol. They will spin tires on request even if there automatic. Also it wasn't even the newer one with the CVT just standard old auto tranny.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Tech Guru

^ The newer ones are all 3.5s I think.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

ya i don't know what engine it has because he is not a car person he doesn't even know what kind of car he was driving. If you asked him he would call it the "White" car. Also those CVTs are weird. When he accelerates it gets up to about 3.5 thousand then holds that rpm from 20mph to like 50mph. And the entire time is sounds like the engine it ticking or something. If you ask me it does not sound right. But also i raced from friend who was in his mom's 3.2l acura tl (i think) and i just gave up after he was at the next light already.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:24 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Ramathorn
ya i don't know what engine it has because he is not a car person he doesn't even know what kind of car he was driving. If you asked him he would call it the "White" car. Also those CVTs are weird. When he accelerates it gets up to about 3.5 thousand then holds that rpm from 20mph to like 50mph. And the entire time is sounds like the engine it ticking or something. If you ask me it does not sound right. But also i raced from friend who was in his mom's 3.2l acura tl (i think) and i just gave up after he was at the next light already.
CVT Constant Variable Transmission. Yes that probably makes it more confusing lol. Jeremy Clarkson said it well (or at least someone on top gear) they asked how can it be constant and variable at the same time. The original design that Honda started with uses a belt and 2 pulley's the one pulley gets larger as the other one shrinks as you accelerate so that the engine will stay in its power band while the car accelerates faster and faster. Nissan uses the same idea but does it w/o a belt. I don't know why you say it clicks because that seems to be that it shouldn't. I think it is an extremely unique transmission and wouldn't mind owning one of them over a standard auto transmission but for now ill stick to my manual. Here is a cool little link to how they work http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm .

Old 11-05-2008, 05:24 PM
2nd Gear

hey - FasterA4ThanUrs - what did you mean by what you said in reply to what i posted?

i really beat him 3 times in a row... he had me off the line, but after second gear topped out i was neck and neck, then slowly pulled in front of him maybe 1-2 cars up to 100 every time... idk if it was OE on his part, or what, but i beat him, stock vs stock...

SO slowest b5 a4 stock is faster than stock SVT focus, is true : )

Quick Reply: What have you beat in your B5?