B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What Factory Stereo Will Fit The B5

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:55 PM
1st Gear
Default What Factory Stereo Will Fit The B5

I have 2 cars a 97 and a 99, they seem pretty similar as far as radios, single din, AM/FM cassette but no CD. First off, the current setup, will it accept the Audi disc changers that mount in the trunk, is there wiring already back there, and what year trunk changer fits. If I want to go with the total in dash set-up, is there a Audi factory single or multiple disc stereo that will fit the dash, most I've seen look like din and a half or double din that come from 02 and up, don't see how they would fit the dash, can anyone help, hate to go aftermarket.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear

Cd hook ups will be there or should be
You can do a double din conversion (search audizine) then you can have an indash cd player or even nav system

Old 06-20-2011, 04:52 PM
2nd Gear

There should be a connector for a cd changer in the back left of the trunk, its like a 7 or 9 pin connector. When one is connected the mode button should begin to cycle to it (--> am/fm --> tape --> cd), if it didnt you'll have to recode it with a vag com.

You also have two other options:

1.) Replace the center console as described above, replace the HVAC unit and then put in the double DIN symphony radio which includes a cd player.

2.) Find a concert II radio and replace the concert I with it. There are a couple problems with this and you should do some research. Mainly, the Concert II radio communicates with the CAN bus, which early B5's dont have. This means at least without modification, the radio wont know whether the ignition is on or off, you wont have speed sensitive volume, and the radio wont know if your lights are on/ how bright you have your dash set, and no radio information on your center console if you have the cluster with the screen. I saw someone with a diy on this, but Im having trouble finding it, if I remember right it was on audizine. The benefit of this is that you dont have to replace your entire center console and HVAC unit, and it has in dash CD within a single DIN.