B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What to do first... Opinions needed guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 04:49 PM
2nd Gear
Default What to do first... Opinions needed guys

Ive got a little list built up over the winter of stuff that needs to be done to get the car back to where i want it.. I might never be happy with the state of my car but i need to get closer to happy

Im having trouble deciding what i should do first and what order to follow.. My clutch has been pretty much cooked since the day i bought the car.. i like to drive spiritedly once in a while but i just dont anymore because its gotten to the point now where i just cant enjoy it.. second gear still pulls strong without slipping but after that she slips pretty good, and it sucks obviously.. control arms are shot up front and need to be replaced, then with an alignment following.. front brakes need a revamp, and im going with the TT/A8 upgrade, new pads and will prolly paint calipers at the same time.. that work i plan on doing myself, and am giving alot of thought to doing control arms myself as well. given the winters here i know thats gunna be a PITA. my car is paid for in two months, which will allow me to put more money into repairs, but i need to get parts collected and things started..

so which would you guys do first and why? i dont NEEEEEED to replace the clutch ASAP cause i dont drive it hard enough to blow it.. but i know that its at the very end of its life.. control arms sound like shi* and the car doesnt ride nearly as well as it should.. brakes can wait as far as im concerned til the spring GTG.. also have a little bit of surface rust i wanna get cleaned up..

Thanks for the input guys.. after this stuff its some sport springs and TIP..

Old 04-02-2011, 05:25 PM
2nd Gear

Seriously? It seems like you know what should be done first, but you want us to tell you?

Dude, do the freaking clutch already! Then take care of the control arms and brakes at the same time. Then worry about rust spots later.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear

haha see this is what i need.. coaxing in the right direction.. almost pulled the trigger this afternoon on the southbend but i wanted to hear all the experts soooo one for the clutch

Old 04-02-2011, 05:30 PM
4th Gear

I would say you already put everything in order.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:38 PM
2nd Gear

I thought so too.. i just know theres always someone with another point of view and i wanted to see if their point made me switch up the order.. plus i like the idea of getting the most expensive ordeal out of the way first..

Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Administrator

ECS has great deals on CA's right now, as well as brakes. I would start with those while saving up for a clutch. Have you thought about which clutch set up you're going to go with? Mike Hood has great deals on ClutchMasters kits right now too.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:33 AM
2nd Gear

haha yea chris i like that idea as well.. this is why i was asking everyone what theyd do.. i know maybe looking at it clutch is the most important, but in my mind it almost can just be put off for a tiny bit.. haha ahhh i dunnooo..

ive talked to mike a few times already about setups.. initially i really felt strongly about going BT here in the near future but, its just not practical at this moment.. if i was gunna id go CM FX300.. but since i think im just gunna keep to the power mods i have for now, and prolly for a while im just gunna go with southbends stage 2 daily HD-O model.. if i can be convinced otherwise maybe the FX100..

also have been giving a thought to just buying CAs, brakes and clutch and wait around til i have the time/money to get them put in.. i suppose i need them all at some point so why not stock pile..

Old 04-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by osin34
also have been giving a thought to just buying CAs, brakes and clutch and wait around til i have the time/money to get them put in.. i suppose i need them all at some point so why not stock pile..
Hey man I hear ya. I don't need brakes or CA's yet, but I'm buyin the parts just because of the deals they have on ECS right now.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Guru

if your suspension sounds like ****, and your clutch only slips when you get on it hard.... it is an easy answer suspension.... but think about it this way... if you haven't done stuff like tre's, you might as well look into the grotten kit(onepointeighttee) just bought his a few months ago on ebay(full kit) for around $200...... i understand if the clutch shoots **** you can't drive, but if your c/a or tre shoots **** you will have an accident.... and if you haven't done the tre's at least get those as well so you are not doing 2 alignments

as for clutch, you might not think you want to do the better clutch cause your going to wait on the power mods.... i ran around on an fx400 with just a tune for a yr, cause mine needed replaced and i new i would do power mods and i didn't want to do a clutch twice.... just a thought

as for the rust.... i would try and kill that as best you can yourself for now so it doesn't become more than just surface.....

Old 04-03-2011, 11:08 AM
2nd Gear

Im not gunna lie Kraut i was waiting for a response like yours and CCs.. cause i honestly feel that way deep down inside.. the clutch isnt gunna **** the bed cause i dont drive it hard anymore, its pointless.. haha

i had been looking at the FCP groton kits just cause from what ive read from other users for the money you really cant beat them.. i know they arent Meyle, but last i checked FCP throws a lifetime warranty on their kits if you buy from them, im not sure about from ebay.. i think the hardest part is determining which seller is using those kits on ebay or are they all? cause they really dont specify on there.. also something that bothered me while reading it was in this ebay ad.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Pa...item5adf8f0562

first thing you come to says Not for Sport Suspension... what the hell does that mean? that for some stupid reason that kit doesnt work with audi stock sport suspension? cause that doesnt make much sense...

as for the rust i actually have cleaned it up and put over some black rust eliminator pant (yea right) for now til i can get it all cleaned up.. hard spot since its on the drivers side rear quarter right on the thin part on the front part of the fender well.. then it runs a little bit inside that back door.. to replace that entire panel would suck.. might be able to patch metal in the right way but.. alot of work.. just will prolly marglass it all.. ive had rust spots fixed before.. my drivers side is a pain

Quick Reply: What to do first... Opinions needed guys