B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What to do engine while it's out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:36 PM
1st Gear
Default What to do engine while it's out?

So valve seals are shot and cam chain tensioner is on its way out. I'm thinking of doing Complete valve train kit from supertech. What else should get done while I'm in there?

Old 07-28-2012, 07:43 AM
1st Gear

If you're pulling the whole engine out .... I personally am a big fan of cleaned up firewalls/cleaned painted engines. So many people yank em' out and dont spend the time making it look super fresh for the little it costs. Vacuum lines are going to be easy to get to as well

Old 07-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Tech Guru

You could also do a wire tuck.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:08 AM

hahha i started my tuck and shave. its gonna take a god damn long time. so unless your down for lossign the car for a while and not half assign it........

Old 07-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Legal Moderator

your taking the whole engine out to fix valvetrain? that is unnecessary but if you want to there are a ton of things you can do. a supertech valvetrain upgrade would be a complete waste of money unless you are going bt. upgraded valvetrain is used to allow the operator to safely take the enginge above 7500 rpm. if all you got is a chip, there isnt usable power above 5 grand really. but if you are taking out the engine, again which is not necesaary, i would change things like front and rear crank seals, oil pan gasket, turbo, check the clutch out, and depending on how many miles you got possibly a full bottom end rebuild including rod and crank bearings. you really could spend many thousands of dollars on this. first, what are you looking to spend? and id really like you to reconsider the supertech valvetrain. seems like a waste on a k03 turbo. but i will say definately get some solid stainless stell exhuast valves made by osvat. they are cheap, only $10 a piece, and if you have seen the carnage created when sodium filled exhaust valves break, you would want the same

Old 07-28-2012, 04:17 PM

building the head is always almost last i nthe mod list. Unless your doing a total engine build theres no point in doing a crazy head job. Port and polish a little and look at going stage 3.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:07 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for your opinions guys. I'm looking to spend about 3 grand. Reason why engine is being taken out is to have oil pan checked, chain tensioner replaced. The engine has 192k miles on it so is it even worth rebuilding the engine? Stage 3 would be cool and all but I just want to get my a4 back on the road.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:30 AM

do a solid rebuild full bottom end build so your stage 3 is way way way better and basically bullet proof.

build the bottom end with

hone and hot tank
new rings
coated main bearings
coated rod bearings
main studs
new thrust bearing
full gaskets
(optional) rods
(optional) pistons

all this will make the bottom end super strong so when you decide to go stage 3 it will handle it, make more power, and make your turbo options much more vast.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:41 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
do a solid rebuild full bottom end build so your stage 3 is way way way better and basically bullet proof.

build the bottom end with

hone and hot tank
new rings
coated main bearings
coated rod bearings
main studs
new thrust bearing
full gaskets
(optional) rods
(optional) pistons

all this will make the bottom end super strong so when you decide to go stage 3 it will handle it, make more power, and make your turbo options much more vast.
How much will that cost me and I still need to get my valve seals fixed and cam chain tensioner.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:52 AM

valve seals idk but you can do it your self for a few dollars. same with cam chain tensioner. save a ton of money

that wouldn't even cost 3k all what i listed but heres a list

hot tank & hone - 100
new rings - 100
coated main - 150
coated rod -150
main studs - 150
head studs - 150
rods - 800
pistons - 800

right under 3k with everything. would be a solid bottom end easily handle over 600hp and spool a good sized turbo.

Quick Reply: What to do engine while it's out?