B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

WHat did you name her?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 PM
2nd Gear

wow..you have no idea how much you just made youself sound like a total n00b!

fist off..The engine isn't"bad" simply because i have to replace a valve cover gasket,this is a normal wear item,that needs to be replaced every now and again,all the things that i have listed,are basic"maintenance" tasks that all of us B5 owners must carry out,as a "premaintenance" measure.

vacuum lines are normally the first to go,they need to be replaced,rear diff fluid needs to be replaced/topped off. propshaft seals...ect...

I really suggest you read the stickies on the top of our B5 thread,save yourself from getting flammed and owned. =x

Old 03-21-2011, 10:37 PM
2nd Gear

its hard to convey sarcasm on the internet i must say, i know a new tranny wouldnt blow a not new engine.

i did read the stickies and have done all that stuff suprisingly except the valve gaskets , should i do them i did it all to keep my car from failing like these forums say will happen if you dont maintain. Should i do valve gaskets just to do them and not worry. The car was a **** pile and kept becomign a **** pile so i did everything i could find that was "matianence" i also hate that ******* word because i cant spell it right

Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 PM
2nd Gear

well...my valve cover gasket is leaking,the shop told me that i was low on 2 quarts,so that is the reason why i am going to get it done and whatever else my baby Audina needs.

I woul'nt say do the gasket,just for the sake of preventive maintenance,obviously only when the gasket is leaking.

I can smell a hint of fumes,when i start my car,inside the cabin and outside the car,i have to press the air circulation arrow,so the air will come from outside,then the smell goes away,this must be the valve cover gasket that is leaking on a hot surface.