B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What is the best year A4 B5?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Just to answer an unaddressed statement from above, the V6 went to DBW in 99.5 when the facelift kicked in. That's when the 30v AHA cable engine was replaced by the 30v DBW ATQ engine. If I recall correctly the rating went from 190hp to 193hp probably die to finer tuning control from the DBW setup.

As for the 1.8T, the AEB engine in the early 1.8T motors has larger ports. That head can be swapped onto later engines but if you want ease of modding you might just consider that engine range anyway.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

New B5 owner (purchased a '01 1.8T fwd manual few days ago) here checking this thread (maybe I should have checked before buying but oh well) and I have a question that might also be relevant to OP's search for a car:

How big a deal, really, is Quattro? I don't plan on serious mods (chip maybe) and it never rains in San Diego. I originally wanted Quattro but the car I found was in better condition than any of the other candidates and had never been modified (also the seller was asking a few hundred bucks less than average Quattro prices). The car is primarily going to be a daily driver for the few times I'm home from work so I'm not going to get too silly with it, and I figured the FWD version got slightly better fuel mileage.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by SquishyPanda
New B5 owner (purchased a '01 1.8T fwd manual few days ago) here checking this thread (maybe I should have checked before buying but oh well) and I have a question that might also be relevant to OP's search for a car:

How big a deal, really, is Quattro? I don't plan on serious mods (chip maybe) and it never rains in San Diego. I originally wanted Quattro but the car I found was in better condition than any of the other candidates and had never been modified (also the seller was asking a few hundred bucks less than average Quattro prices). The car is primarily going to be a daily driver for the few times I'm home from work so I'm not going to get too silly with it, and I figured the FWD version got slightly better fuel mileage.
I've got a '98.5 B5 1.8TM, also in SoCal. It's upgraded with a FrankenTurbo + tune, exhaust, etc. (should be ~230 whp, 270 ft-lbs). IMO there's nothing wrong with having FWD in this area, and after more than 3 years with it, I'm still satisfied. Granted I haven't driven a Quattro B5 though my next car might have Quattro

Many Quattro guys will tell you that there's no point in owning an Audi if it doesn't have Quattro (many of them also live where there are "real" winters).
In SoCal it seems at least 50% of the A4 models on the road are FWD so finding a Quattro B5 can even be a challenge in some cases.

My point: just enjoy it!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by MetalMan
I've got a '98.5 B5 1.8TM, also in SoCal. It's upgraded with a FrankenTurbo + tune, exhaust, etc. (should be ~230 whp, 270 ft-lbs). IMO there's nothing wrong with having FWD in this area, and after more than 3 years with it, I'm still satisfied. Granted I haven't driven a Quattro B5 though my next car might have Quattro

Many Quattro guys will tell you that there's no point in owning an Audi if it doesn't have Quattro (many of them also live where there are "real" winters).
In SoCal it seems at least 50% of the A4 models on the road are FWD so finding a Quattro B5 can even be a challenge in some cases.

quattro is definately awesome up here! im sure the fwd drive models are fine in so cal, but its necessary in many other areas as metalamn said, but probably not in san diego. although if you do plan on upgrading the horsepower significantly, quattro is a must. im only at 316awhp and i've broken loose in first gear in bone dry conditions.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by redline380
quattro is definately awesome up here! im sure the fwd drive models are fine in so cal, but its necessary in many other areas as metalamn said, but probably not in san diego. although if you do plan on upgrading the horsepower significantly, quattro is a must. im only at 316awhp and i've broken loose in first gear in bone dry conditions.
Yeah 1st gear can get rather interesting with the quick-spooling FrankenTurbo and FWD... though on the freeway, when somebody pisses me off while in stop-and-go traffic, I am more likely to dump the clutch and spin the front tires instead of use the horn (it tends to get their attention better, also because of my exhaust).

Old 04-03-2013, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

Ah ok. That's what I figured. I'm pretty happy with the power the stock motor makes (for now. I'm still charmed by the turbo woosh at 2500rpm) so I mostly want to deal with the chassis' float and roll after I do the necessary catch-up and preventative maintenance (manual tbelt tensioner, later-model BPV, etc)

Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan

I found one in San Diego Oh Yeah and Love it.....98 B5 5speed Quattro and just hit 149K on it....very fast and sharp.