B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What is the best year A4 B5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:36 PM
1st Gear
Default What is the best year A4 B5?

Noob to the Audi world, looking at purchasing an A4 B5, I'm just not sure what would be the best year to go with. I've looked for a thread talking about this but cant seem to find one. Let me know, thanks.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

I don't know that you could really pick one best year. Everyone has their own preference. In 1999.5, Audi facelifted the A4, and most people agree that the looks improved due to one piece headlights, slightly different taillights, etc. They also updated the interior, so it looks newer, but again, some people prefer the older look. If your looking at 2.8's, then they had the 12V in '96 and '97, and then changed it to the 30V in '98 until '01. The 30V makes more power, but still isn't exactly a fast car. The 1.8t came around in '97 and stayed relatively unchanged until '01, when Audi bumped up the power by like 20 hp. But chipping the '97-'00 1.8t's can easily make up for that and more. Then there's of course the question of DBC vs. DBW. I don't remember exactly when the change took place for the 2.8, or if the 1.8t was ever DBC, but if you really prefer one over the other you could do a search. And as far as the facelift look goes, many people on here have made pre-facelift cars look facelifted, so that's something to consider too. Personally, I'd say decide which engine you prefer(there are plenty of threads highlighting the ups and downs of both), and look for a well-kept, well-priced car without giving the year too much thought. Good luck with the search!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM

Like audiaxel suggested, the "best" is subjective.

For a stock car that won't be modded other than a chip, '99.5 1.8T is the best IMO. If you plan on modding your car (turbo, radio, etc.) and are located in a state without emissions testings, then a 2001.5 1.8T (with emissions components removed) would be the best IMO (2001 1.8T has a wideband oxygen sensor which is better for engine tuning).

Old 03-26-2013, 03:37 PM
2nd Gear

I was told by a knowledgeable enthusiast that the 2001 1.8T was most problem prone out of all B5 A4s. Still subjective to their own experiences and considering these cars are over 12 years old, any of them will have problems now.

You'll enjoy the facelift, 1999.5+, model more in most cases as previously mentioned. More specifics on the facelift version are:

One-piece projector headlights stock (not clear cornered)
Updated taillights
Long oval clear side markers
Removal of the Audi emblem on the side fenders
Updated stock stereo (double-din)
Updated shifter surround (has chrome--generally sportier looking..if you know what to look for)
Interior LED lights that shine down from the map light for increased cabin illumination at night
Side-curtain airbags (A-pillars, at least)
Push-down reverse on manuals

If you want technical details, follow this link and take a look at the PDFs on the bottom

Audi A4

Old 03-26-2013, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonathan.m.hutchins
Noob to the Audi world, looking at purchasing an A4 B5, I'm just not sure what would be the best year to go with. I've looked for a thread talking about this but cant seem to find one. Let me know, thanks.
Welcome to the forums!

I'm a noob too, just got my first Audi exactly one year ago and have learned a lot.

Like others have said, if you want to hotrod the car to the extreme, then get the turbo 4-banger. There are tons of aftermarket soup-ups available for it.

The 2.8 V6 30-valve, is a smooth reliable engine bone-stock but only 190hp, and there are basically only two performance mods available for it: diddly and squat . You have to just simply be happy with it in stock condition, which I am since it's my daily driver and if I want to go fast, I'll hop into my airplane and go 200 mph

Whatever you choose, make certain to get the Quattro all wheel drive version. With only the front wheel drive version, all you've got is a fancier looking Volkswagen

Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 PM
2nd Gear

For a 1.8T I would get an '01 hands down, it's the most modern B5 you can buy. The AWM is a great motor, and when combined with the wideband O2 sensor and a more aggressive ECU tune puts out 30hp more than any other year while also making it more driveable and torquey. For the 2.8 '00 and '01 are the same.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:07 AM
1st Gear

I second mad cow on the 2001 audi A4 1.8t, manual if you could, but it really depends on what you want. Like everyone else is saying all years are good but different. Their was an interior and exterior change in the 1999 year. It is referred to as the facelift model. Visibly different interior wise, center console, red dash vent lights and the addition of curtain side airbags, and there were some exterior differences such as the middle door mouldings are fatter. The side markers also gained some girth, went from being square to rectangular, the fogs in front also moved from inside the new designed headlight to the bumper, the grille also changed ever so slightly. The 2.8's are super durable. The older 12 valves were even more so (1994-1997). Everyone, including myself buys the 1.8t's because they are tuneable but in reality they are pains in the ****. Sometimes I wish I would have bought a 2.8 V6 but it is what it is. The 1.8's require, what in my mind seems like more maintenance than what it's sibling the 2.8 does. Always buy Quattro. It is the reason Audi has its reputation. Audiaxel made a great point about the "drive by wire" and "drive by cable". It may not matter to many but I am a "drive by cable" guy myself. I don't like "drive by wire" at all. I feel disconnected. Also these cars are getting older and older and have a fairly long list of things that "Always" go wrong. ABS, Power steering Rack, Wheel Bearings, Timing Belts, the list is actually really long... The car will cost you way more than you think it will in the end, even if you do all the work yourself. So pretty much if you want a super reliable, cheap car, an Audi is not the car you want sir, lol. I will always be an Audi guy though, just because they are safe, modern, efficient, fun, cool cars. Girls also seem to compliment it when they get in it and I couldn't tell you the amount of time's, people think I am lying when I tell them it is 1998 car. Always gives me a smile A lot to take into consideration but if you have an issue, you have a huge fan base right here, who usually will help you figure stuff out, if you ask politely that is. If I could choose any b5 though, 2001 Audi Avant S4 imola yellow, black interior, and six speed manual. Lol, I know that strays from what you are asking though. Best of luck in your choices.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:07 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
For a 1.8T I would get an '01 hands down, it's the most modern B5 you can buy. The AWM is a great motor, and when combined with the wideband O2 sensor and a more aggressive ECU tune puts out 30hp more than any other year while also making it more driveable and torquey. For the 2.8 '00 and '01 are the same.
agree 100%. 01 1.8t's are te best for multiple reasons. of course wideband oxygen sesnor, 170hp stock, me7, 82mm front wheel bearings, no intermediate shaft, best stock b5 coilpacks. sur im forgetting a couple things. only things that make it worse are vvt and sai, but 00's got them too

Old 03-27-2013, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

I guess I should have made it clear that I did plan on getting the 1.8T and of course stick with the Quattro package, those are all must haves for me. Thanks for all the great answers. I think the 2001 model seems best in my interest and I do plan on beefing it up to the max. Plan on posting more once I get the car and start tearing into it and I'm sure I'll have more questions later on. Thanks!!!!!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
agree 100%. 01 1.8t's are te best for multiple reasons. of course wideband oxygen sesnor, 170hp stock, me7, 82mm front wheel bearings, no intermediate shaft, best stock b5 coilpacks. sur im forgetting a couple things. only things that make it worse are vvt and sai, but 00's got them too
ATW coils are actually the most durable, problem is they cost 3 times more than AWM coils. '00 had SAI but no VVT, it was a really odd transitional motor and support for it is understandably terrible.

I don't know what people are complaining about with DBW, I've driven B5's with both and honestly the throttle response feels the same. There are plenty of plenty of terrible DBW cars but the B5 is not one of them. Plus a tune can change the pedal map to make it more aggressive if you want.

Quick Reply: What is the best year A4 B5?