B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

What is the best drop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CAB509
those should be 18's on Tifun's car
i think they are 17s....

go with coilovers, just save until you can afford some. vmaxx coils are $600 and then go really really low. with coils you can slam it in the summer and raise it for the winters. just my .02.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:49 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by thepirate
i think they are 17s....

go with coilovers, just save until you can afford some. vmaxx coils are $600 and then go really really low. with coils you can slam it in the summer and raise it for the winters. just my .02.
thats my plan...and i think i read some where here that the ride comfort isnt sacrificed, and is pretty much stock with the exception of hight adjustability. its cheap, adjustable, and i dont plan on taking the car to the track.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:50 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by thepirate
i think they are 17s....

I am digging that price of $600, that is not a bad price at all. to do springs/shocks the right way would cost just as much if not more. thanks for the tip on vmaxx

Last edited by pearlescent; 02-17-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

are vmaxx legit? im looking to lower my car, but i live in pa so winters can be bad and the roads are sort of bad since theres no money to fix them. i just want to be able to have it low in the summer and then back to normal for the winter.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, any known problems with vmaxx?

Old 02-17-2009, 12:51 PM
6th Gear

Vmaxx has been around for a bit and everything I've read and talked to people about they either love them or hate them.

Vmaxx, are C/O built for the purpose of just looks, they use close to the stock spring rates so you don't gain a ton of performance with them they are not anodized so there have been some talk of them seizing so that you would not be able to adjust the height after a winter or two depending on how your state clears your roads.

If you are not going to track you car/ use it more as a cruiser than t carver, Vmaxx is a great c/o for it's cost it seems, they drop you ridiculously low, have a decent little following over in the VW world, and are priced right.

that is what I know about Vmaxx, basically if you are droping your car for looks over performance than they will be perfect but when you drop them really low they will bottom out somewhat often I've been told since they don't have that stiff of a spring rate.

hope that helps.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:51 PM

I'm in the same boat as this guy, i want to drop it, but i live in snowy conditions, and money is somewhat tight. What should i get, theres a lot of choices, im only looking for like a 1 inch drop maybe a tiny bit more like 1.5 max.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

have you guys been on fourtitude!? more than half the guys on that forum live up north and some are lower than me! one dude keeps his low through the winter....

as far as ride comfort, it doesn't matter what you have on your car, springs or coilovers. if you lower it, it will be somewhat bouncy over bumps. not so much that it is unbearable but you will notice a difference in ride quality. audi's stock suspension is so amazing, i'm talking top of the line. anything other than stock will feel weird.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

just when i thought vmaxx was my way out..... the thought of them seizing is unsettling haha.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:54 AM
3rd Gear

Ok, you have to get your priorities in line here...

Do you want to be low for looks or low for a more performance oriented ride?

VMaxx is like a stock suspension, but low. If it's set too low, it will bottom out. It will dive and squat just as much as before, but you'll bang off the bump stops when you dump it too low. You can slap them on your car for about $600.

H&R Sport or Race springs or Eibach Pro springs will lower your car as well, but matched with the right shocks, will eliminate a considerable amount of dive and squat. Though you cannot adjust the ride height back up, it is a compromised look. Low enough to look good and handle right, but with enough clearance to drive on a daily basis. Look to spend about $220-250 for springs and about $500 for 4 good shocks such as Bilstein HD from Blauparts.

Spending more on a set of adjustable coil-overs from Tien, H&R, or even Eibach will provide you with the dumped look AND pretty much eliminate dive and squat, however, they cost more and you'll need a set of good shocks to handle the extreme spring rates. You'll need to save more than $600 for this setup ($1200-1800+ depending on brand chosen).

Personally, I'd save for a good set of adjustable coilovers or compromise with a set of Eibach Pros, or even search for a used S4 suspension. To me, the VMaxx setup isn't going to make you happy if you are looking to get low AND handle better. Remember, just because it's low does not mean it handles or rides better.

Or, there is always this...

http://airbagit.com/advanced_search_...1&inc_subcat=1

Slammed.

Last edited by Tweaked; 02-19-2009 at 01:06 AM.

Quick Reply: What is the best drop?