B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Well, the inevitable has happened.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 01:39 AM
1st Gear
Default Well, the inevitable has happened.

Been apprehensive about letting friends drive my A4 since I bought her but my complacency has cost me. Couple of days ago my roommate/"buddy" drove my girlfriend and me to the BWI airport in the early morning and, sure enough, I get a text message (of course not a phone call) from a friend of ours that he had fallen asleep at the wheel about 15 miles away from our apartment and had rolled it. Thankfully he was OK aside from a broken wrist, bruised ribs & knees, and the obligatory cuts and scrapes, but from what I can only imagine and from what little he remembers there's not much left of the old girl. Of course, Delaware being a "no-fault" state (or so the sleepy culprit has told me and I cannot at this time verify), my insurance and not his will be on the hook for damages. He tells me the police told him that at the scene of the wreck but after a phone call to USAA nobody's been informed that there even was a wreck. Not to mention that my Audi is now at a towing company's wrecking yard accumulating $50/day in fees he doesn't feel obligated to pay. Worse yet 3 days before this wreck I just took insurance down to liability only since I just bought another car (2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup Edition) so at least when I get back home from God's Country here in Montana from leave I'll have wheels to get to base for work, but so far nobody in Delaware can tell me what's what. Considering the driver told me the police couldn't open the glove box because it was "so smashed in" and he had to be taken away by medical chopper, I'd say my beloved Fraülein is no more. Hoping he does the right thing and coughs up the dough to cover the vehicle himself, she was supposed to be a driver's ed 'graduation' gift for my little sister this fall.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:44 AM
4th Gear

I'm thinking he did NOT fall asleep...

Old 06-20-2012, 01:46 AM
1st Gear

If I've learned two things from this ridiculousness, it's:
1) Never, even of someone is bleeding to death or there's some apocalypse, under any circumstances, let anyone borrow/drive your car.
2) If you've ever used tobacco products, never ever quit. Every time you do something miserable happens (this is - scratch that - WAS my 3rd attempt at quitting chew.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:49 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
I'm thinking he did NOT fall asleep...
I thought the same thing until he openly admitted to not having slept for over 27 hours, & that instead of taking a nap (he had 2 months plus notice that he was driving us to the airport at 3 AM on the 16th) he decided to have a 2 hour gym session and attend someone's housewarming party (no booze).

Old 06-20-2012, 02:00 AM
1st Gear

So hes retarded. That explains it. He better pay fir that ****. Atleast the storage fee.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:29 AM
1st Gear

i don't let anyone drive my cars... had too many problems. had a few in accidents, one completely totaled (not his fault though), and too many smaller problems. my roommate borrowed my car, came back and the quarter panel was kicked in. she obviously pissed somebody off on the way to a store. but she swears it was there. like i wouldn't know if my own car had a foot sized dent in it? anyways... yeah, if it were me, if i wrecked my friend's car like that, i'd try my best to take care of it the best i could.