B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Weird Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Weird Issues

So I just bought my first Audi, its an A4, 2000 2.8L. Love the way it drives and feels. Here is my questions,

When I start the car, what lights should I get on the instrument cluster, i.e. before cranking.

I m not seeing any lights for ABS or Brake when I turn the key, also no lights on the other side where EPC shows up (EPC is the only thing that shows up).

While driving I hear a chime sometimes but no warning lights.

Also is the car supposed to display if I have cruise on or not.

Any suggestions / ideas...

Last edited by jassilamba@gmail.com; 02-20-2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-20-2011, 12:56 AM
1st Gear

these are questions you should be asking the previous owner before you purchase the car.
...just sayin'

Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Aud1A4
these are questions you should be asking the previous owner before you purchase the car.
...just sayin'
I know I should have. The problem is the wife bought the car even after me telling her that it has weird issues because you know woman "I want that color". Anyways I'm going to talk to the dealer but any suggestions as to what is wrong will be helpful.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:04 AM
1st Gear

If you dont see the airbag abs ebrake seatbelt and check engine that means the previous owner took out the bulbs prior to the sale , u need to remove the cluster and check to see if the light bulbs are still there

Old 02-20-2011, 11:58 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by erasmmuss
If you dont see the airbag abs ebrake seatbelt and check engine that means the previous owner took out the bulbs prior to the sale , u need to remove the cluster and check to see if the light bulbs are still there
That sounds sort of right, I had another check run on the car, and had the car run the self test, I m only not seeing the ABS and and Brake light.

I m guessing they might have taken just those lights out. Cos the ABS light was on when I test drove and he said that he will get the module put in.

The dealer agreed on paper to fix it, so I can hold him liable for that.

Thanks and guys.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys, the SOB dealer, had black tape put over the lights to fix the ABS problem. Good thing the dealer gave me in writing that he will have the Module put in, now I can hold him liabel.

Stop payment for the check has been issued and gonna get the problem fixed for good.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:52 PM
2nd Gear

wow..what a jerk,good thing you got it in writing but to tell you the truth,i would not even buy the car after finding out that he put black tape to cover the abs led from showing,god knows what else he didn't tell you.

Last edited by morpheous; 02-20-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

Hi Jassilamba;
When you first turn the key all the way on but not to start you should see the following:EPC, BRAKE (in red), BATTERY symbol, MIL, ABS, AIR BAG, and ESP if your car has it.
Shortly after the key is turned to the position I mentioned above the ABS, ESP, and AIR BAG go out.
Frankly I'm not sure about a CRUISE light, I don't think there is one but I will check and re-post.
I can't think of any"chime" sound in that car. Is it perhaps a "beep" like when the washer fluid is low or the service light comes on just after start-up?
Tom

Old 02-20-2011, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
wow..what a jerk,good thing you got it in writing but to tell you the truth,i would not even buy the car after finding out that he put black tape to cover the abs led from showing,god knows what else you didn't tell you.
I called the dealer and we are returning the car first thing tomorrow.

I wonder how many other people became victim of what ever he does.

So all issues are not issues any more.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:34 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

^^^^^

kind of sad but probably for the best

Quick Reply: Weird Issues