B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Weird electrical/rpm issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 03:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Weird electrical/rpm issue?

So i just noticed and i don't know how long its been going on but if im sitting there in neutral and the car is running and i pull the switch up to roll up the window and my rpms drop and my car idles rough for half a second, then goes back up to normal. Is this normal? I doubt it is, any idea what can cause this?

Im also constantly burning the fuse for the interior lighting, i replaced the fuse and within an hour it burns out again, any idea as to what can cause it to keep burning? The only "aftermarket" electrical thing i have is my boost gauge, and the power is connected to the fuse for the rear license plate light.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:42 AM

If rolling down the window causes RPMs to drop (without blowing the fuse for the window), my guess is your alternator is on its way out. You can get your alternator tested for free at any chain auto parts store.

My best guess for your fuse blowing issue with the interior lights is you have a bulb that's shorting or something of that nature. If you individually unplug bulbs and wait for the fuse to blow, you can do process of elimination to find out which bulb/bulb holder is causing the issue.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:58 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
If rolling down the window causes RPMs to drop (without blowing the fuse for the window), my guess is your alternator is on its way out. You can get your alternator tested for free at any chain auto parts store.

My best guess for your fuse blowing issue with the interior lights is you have a bulb that's shorting or something of that nature. If you individually unplug bulbs and wait for the fuse to blow, you can do process of elimination to find out which bulb/bulb holder is causing the issue.
Thanks for the help!