B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Weighing options on buying a 99 A4

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:32 AM
1st Gear
Default Weighing options on buying a 99 A4

So we have had several Audi A4 Quattros come up in a local auction. One of which has really caught my eye and fancy. It's a five speed 1.8T. Not much is known about it. 122 some odd change miles. It says no run/clutch problems. Driver seat is torn pretty bad, and trunk is dented. I'm a mechanic at a big name shop. I have tools and time, but little experience with Audi's. Need to know what you all think. The bidding so far hasn't been very enthusiastic. Five speeds aren't well loved around these parts. I may be able to pick this up under six hundred dollars. Any advice would be appreciated. Oh, and here are some pictures and the VIN WAUCB28D5XA284978.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Administrator

With access to a shop you have nothing to lose at that price. You could replace the engine and come in at less than half the book value invested. If you get it and it's nothing you want you could part it out and make 2-3x your investment. I don't see a way you can lose.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 AM
1st Gear

Good to hear. Just wish I knew more about Audi's off the get. How difficult are the clutches on the Quattros? What're some common engine problems that keep these from running? I know if you take the oil fill cap off a BMW it won't run because the vacuum leak is too much... Could it be something stupid simple like that on an Audi? Been dying to go see it and give it a thorough once over. Would love some insight on particular things to look at?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Start at the top of the forum with the FAQ sticky post - that'll fill you in on a lot. Take a read through that as well as the sticky posts in the New Member subforum to get a good grasp on the ABCs and then you will be able to follow up with more pointed questions related to this particular car.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:57 AM
1st Gear

All right. Will do, but it won't help much to ask pointed questions when I know so little about the vehicle itself. Are there any codes I should particularly run from? I've read a lot of performance out of these little cars. I may upgrade it to get a little more fun out, but nothing manic. I'm a sane driver most of the time. I've done a lot of front suspension work on VWs... Tends to be kind of a pain most times. Should I expect the same here? Definitely replacing the clutch off the bat and would want to know if it was a difficult experience. Didn't see one when I went through the DIYs earlier. Maybe I just missed it.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Administrator

The biggest potential fear factor is a flashing oil pressure light at idle or low RPM - often that indicates serious oil sludge (which the 1.8T is known for). If it gets to that point, the previous owner didn't care for the car with regular synthetic oil changes. You can save it with seafoam or de-sludge treatments unless it's too far gone. Sludge buildup clots up the oil pickup filter screen and starves the engine, eventually killing it.

I haven't done a clutch on a Quattro but I have on a fwd A4. It's not a really fun job but it's not awful - just tedious as hell. On a Quattro you'd have the extra steps involved in disconnecting the driveshaft off the back of the transmission. Otherwise it'd be like any fwd longitudinal-engine VW you've done.

Suspension is control arms front and rear, and the only real pain is the pinch bolt at the top of the front spindle, pinning the upper CAs in place. Fire and violence beats them everytime. Soak 'em in Kroil, pry the pinches open, light 'em up with a map gas torch, and beat the hell out of them with a 4lb sledge. Plan on new pinch bolts any time you take them out, just because of the method of removal.

Other than that, put a boost gauge in the car, get VagCom if you don't already have it, and replace all the vacuum lines and check valves to eliminate potential boost leaks. Everything else that goes wrong (wheel bearings, control arms, coil packs, etc) is nothing that you (as a euro-experienced mechanic) can't handle easily and efficiently.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all your help. Would not consider myself an experienced Euro mechanic. Just have a lot of friends who buy VW and then need help when they're shaking like a leaf. More of an old school muscle car kind myself, but I need something a little more gas efficient, but still stylish and fun. I know what it's like to have 700+ horses under the pedal. My pride and joy is a 500 cubic inch Cadillac Big Block in an 89 suburban. Yeah I have something in the ball park of 650 horses... but it's twice as heavy and I get six miles to the gallon. That's the reason for even looking at the Audi.

Will definitely be desludging if I get it, as well as giving it full synthetic and buying up a few of the larger filters. If a new pump is called for it isn't a huge deal. Timing belt is also high up on my list of priorities. As is a steering rebuild, tires, and a proper alignment. Which is huge for any AWD vehicle. And I have a four pound sledge so no worries there!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:11 PM
2nd Gear

For sub 1k, Id say go for it too, especially when your a mechanic. The stickies at the top of the forum will help you tremendously so check those out like devil mentioned. Looks to me like its a 99.5-- based on the illuminated vent controls (the dotted white on the air flow control next to each vent) and the cigarette lighter located in the center console.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:15 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for all your advice and your information. I decided to pass on the Audi because it went for a little over a thousand dollars, and I found a much better deal. -Laughs.- I got a 89 Trans Am GTA for a thousand dollars that runs and drives great.