B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Weekend of Maint. Fun (am i forgetting anything)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Banned
Default Weekend of Maint. Fun (am i forgetting anything)

OK thanks for all the input in past posts, i have weighed my options, and going to take a stab at the new half shafts through ECS. I'm going to list all the stuff rim about to purchase, let me know if im forgetting anything or should replace while im tearing my car apart. Everything will be coming from ECS as to save on shipping, unless someone recommends getting elsewhere. Again my car is a 99 A4quattro 5 speed 105k, no other major job done as of yet.

-getting the ECS timing belt kit w/ lightweight crank
-3 liters of coolant(not with the TB kit)
-Cam and Crank Seal(noticed it didn't come with the lightweight kit)
-Front and Rear Rotors(anyone recommend a specific brand?) my front runners for these were just the plain Meyles rotors, no need for crazy slots etc
-Front and Rear Pads(any recommendations as well ? ) from reading i think im going with the Hawk HPS, i drive mainly street, and no plans for big mods YET!!
-Drive axle shoulder bolts(how many do i need, i know stupid question)
-Left and Right Empi axles
-basic maint stuff(oil & filter, tranny fluid, fuel filter, air filter)
-while im at it im going to take the ABS module off to send it out to get rebuilt

My next venture after this will be the plugs and coil packs and anything else that comes up. Is there anything else, bolts, tools, seals anything goofy not said above i should replace or check out while im this far into my car ? Let me know guys. Thanks

Brad

Last edited by diablo9861; 04-23-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:28 PM

Lots of parts there . Always nice to see that type of care.
New hoses and pulleys for the a/c and such? Replace the vac lines too for the hell of it. Just saying not trying to waste money but just an idea I would toss around if your diving into the timing belt change .

Old 04-23-2009, 11:17 PM

Your list looks good, but I have a question: Why are you replacing your axles? I've had some not-so-good history with the empi replacements causing vibrations.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:46 PM
Banned

hoses? have not planned on it, no leaking problems that i notice, but i planned on checking them out when ripping the front end apart. pulleys ? i just planned on the crank since it came with the TB kit, are these something that commonly go out ? Vac lines ? good tip, but think that will wait till the next bonus check, do that with the plugs etc.

as for the axles, my outer CV boots went out no clue how long ago, right side has some noise coming from it, but cant tell if its from the worn out brakes. i had another post going that subject, it was about 50/50 on rebuild or replace whole axle, but for another twenty or so more bucks i was going to replace the axle so later on i didn't have to redo the inner boot/joints too.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:36 AM

Sorry I left out Inspect/Replace. These cars are getting up there in age and yes don't go blindly throwing money at it if it's not needed. Unless you want to hehe .

Old 04-24-2009, 09:24 AM
3rd Gear

I would skip the lightweight crank pulley. There are no gains to be had and it requires a special sized belt. If for some reason a squirrel gets lodged in your drive belt or a pulley fails and shreds it in the middle of nowhere, you'll have to wait to order a belt from ECS. Your local parts store or Audi dealer won't carry it.

I might also suggest axles or axle rebuild kits from Blauparts.

But otherwise, looks like a good parts list. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:27 AM
5th Gear

b4 you do any of that, seafoam your car. it'll clean the engine and then once you do the maintenance you'll have a super clean engine. one thing you should def do is change the brake fluid.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:00 PM

agreed on the brake fluid, I would also suggest your power steering fluid - make sure that you get the right crap from an audi or VW dealership!

Old 05-13-2009, 02:04 AM
Banned
Default Brake Rotors?

Does it really matter what rotors you put on a car? Its the only thing i haven't bought, is there any difference between the ones you can pick up locally for 40 bucks or so from napa or auto zone compared to say the Zimmerman/German ones? I drive street and have no plans anytime soon for big mods. i have bought the PBR ceramic pads w/ sensors. What are your thoughts ?

Old 05-13-2009, 09:23 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by diablo9861
Does it really matter what rotors you put on a car? Its the only thing i haven't bought, is there any difference between the ones you can pick up locally for 40 bucks or so from napa or auto zone compared to say the Zimmerman/German ones? I drive street and have no plans anytime soon for big mods. i have bought the PBR ceramic pads w/ sensors. What are your thoughts ?
Yes it matters. The made-in-china crap you buy for 40 bucks a pop at a local store will warp, crack, and can cause safety issues. Zimmerman are actually a less expensive German rotor, but they have a very high quality and are just as good as OEM. I recommend blank rotors for best heat-absorbing and longest pad/rotor life.

As for pads, I would have gone with Hawk HPS, personally. PBR ceramic are good pads, but they are noisy, eat rotors, and will take longer to stop than HPS with street driving. On the track or hauling down from (speeding) highway speeds, PBR ceramics should be awesome, but there are better street pads.

Quick Reply: Weekend of Maint. Fun (am i forgetting anything)