AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B5 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/)
-   -   Weaksauce dyno (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/weaksauce-dyno-94375/)

auditech79 03-08-2008 09:51 PM

RE: Weaksauce dyno

WTF kinda dyno is that?

MissionCtrl 03-08-2008 09:55 PM

Dynapack dyno

pyropenguin 03-08-2008 09:56 PM

Looks like a 'dynapack' dyno.

How is a Dynapack different from other dynamometers?

The first and most obvious difference is the elimination of the tire to roller interface on a conventional roller dyno. The Dynapack eliminates this variable by using a hub adapter that provides a direct coupling to the Power Absorption Units. There can be no tire slip, no rolling resistance, and no chance of the vehicle coming off of the dyno at high speeds. Notice that this is called a variable. Sometimes it may be a problem area; other times it may not. Tire temperature, pressure, traction, etc., are all variables that can change, not only from run to run, but also during the run. Throw an unknown variable like this into the equation and your data has now become subject to a potentially high margin of error. It is obviously better if these variables are eliminated, which is exactly what we have done. There are other associated problems with the roller method as well. Take tie-down straps for example. Most roller dynos use ratcheting tie-down straps to attempt to hold the vehicle in position while being tested. If the straps are cinched down tightly, the tire has become loaded even further in an unpredictable manner. While this may be good for enhancing traction, it changes the rolling resistance of the tire, skewing the data even more. Since these tie-down straps aren't perfect, the vehicle squirms around on the rollers dramatically changing the tire drag during the run. If the vehicle is tested in two different sessions, the straps can’t be set exactly the same way twice. Again, the data will be inconsistent. There have been cases where the ratcheting tie-down straps were loosened by two clicks and the measured power increased by ten horsepower. What if the straps stretch, either from run to run or during the run itself? Wouldn’t it be great if all of these problems could disappear? With a Dynapack, they were never there in the first place.

edit-
he beat me to it :(

cincyTT 03-08-2008 09:56 PM

Its a dynapack. It should read a little higher if not the same as a dynojet. If you just drilled holes in the cat you probably made power worse. Also you need a full turboback and intercooler. And finally, you are trying to compare your car to those stupid tunes turning 25+psi.

Get a ic and have someone do a timing log for you. Also, you get the A/F during the runs?

pyropenguin 03-08-2008 10:00 PM

at 138awhp you're running about 170hp at the crank, something is funky for sure.

definetly check out the a/f ratio and timing... I don't even know what else it could be. Good luck!

MissionCtrl 03-08-2008 10:01 PM

I've got an IC, ebay, but should work well enough for the baby KO4. Unfortunately they didn't run an A/F log. I still think I'm running too rich. I've had problems with this tune ever since I got it. After several revisions it running better, just thought it was better than this. I just full out gutted the cat while i was putting the KO4 on.

cincyTT 03-08-2008 10:06 PM

You are either pulling timing,rich as all hell, or have an exhaust leak pre turbo.

BTW, there is no reason to cut the stock cat. It isnt a restriction, its the diam of the piping in and out. You can have that made bigger by cutting the cat and welding on new piping.

vagcom and logs are your friends

The Russian 03-09-2008 10:26 AM

dude, that can't be right, i have the stock turbo and APR chip, and my car dynoed at 155 at the wheels uncorrected for colorado altitude.... and i know its correct because a buddy of mine dyno'ed with me and he got the same numbers as before at a different place.... thats really strange

cincyTT 03-09-2008 02:06 PM

ORIGINAL: The Russian

dude, that can't be right, i have the stock turbo and APR chip, and my car dynoed at 155 at the wheels uncorrected for colorado altitude....
That can make a HUGE differnce in power. I bet the numbers after smoothingwere much lower (10+ whp).

auditech79 03-09-2008 03:08 PM

UGH, dynos suck. Just take it to the track.