B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

water condensation inside my Angel eye lights!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:43 AM
2nd Gear
Default water condensation inside my Angel eye lights!

I noticed a few times,after driving my car,water builds up on the plastic on both right and left lights,is this normal or something i have to address? and if so,how would i go about addressing it?

Old 02-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

It's from them being cheaply made in China and they are not sealed so heat and moisture gets in them and wala you have a rain forest in your headlights

Old 02-18-2011, 07:59 AM
2nd Gear

Bogus oh well..i swapped em for a 9 dollar vag-com USB cable anyway! I would think there is something i could do to atleast reduce the amount of water build up though.

Last edited by morpheous; 02-18-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Yeah - take them out, dry them with a hairdryer through the bulb holes, and seal every seam with clear silicone. It should keep most of the moisture out.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 AM
2nd Gear

ahhh,i new there was a remedy,i'll give that a try over the weekend. Thank you much

Old 02-18-2011, 08:31 AM
1st Gear

Yup do exactly what Devil said BUT The key is make sure EVERYTHING is completely dry before you seal it. If you seal it with any type of water in there is gonna get nasty. I have seen a few people jump the gun and seal them before they were completely dry and the inside of the headlights looked like a shower that wasn't cleaned for years.

HI DEVIL!!!! LOL

Old 02-18-2011, 08:37 AM
2nd Gear

Lmfao! i'll do just that,don't want a shower goin on in my Angel eye lights! I would think it could short out the light bulb inside the case after being exposed to such condensation after awhile.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:47 AM
1st Gear

The best thing you can do is put it in your oven on the LOWEST setting that it will do. It is not hot enough to melt the plastic but it hot enough to evaporate the water out. Leave it in there an hour or so and then I would let it stay in there an additional hour or two after you take it out. I would check on it a couple times early on just to make sure that your low setting isn't freakishly hot or something. I use this for electronics that got wet all the time.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 AM
2nd Gear

meh,i think my hairdryer i used to use for xbox360 repair will suffice,somthing feels wrong about placing my Angel eye lights in a oven,they'll go in the oven as Angel eyes and come out Devil eyes.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by morpheous
Bogus oh well..i swapped em for a 9 dollar vag-com USB cable anyway! I would think there is something i could do to atleast reduce the amount of water build up though.
there you go again(or a newb goes again asking a question that has been asked an answered a million times).... both don(chocolat) and jeremy(imthedevil) are right....

they are cheaply made lights so that is why they leak.... you need to dry them and seal the lights..... problem is depending on how cheap they are, just sealing the edges might not be enough.... but don't seal the bulb holes

and to all the hater(haters gonna hate) yes i said noob... yes i called his lights cheap... yes i told him to search or that he should of searched

but it is cause i have seen this question at least 1000 times between this and other forums

Quick Reply: water condensation inside my Angel eye lights!