B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Wanting a B5 Audi

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:52 AM
Default Wanting a B5 Audi

Hi all, im new to the forums and very new to the audi scene, but not german cars in general.

Just wanted to post to ask a few questions regarding the b5 from the very people who own them.

Im considering the b5 mainly for the price and looks. But im more of a performance guy so was wondering exactly, what can be done to it?
Force induction, supercharging, stuff like that.

Also what can i expect from the b5 maintenence wise from engine to the little stuff. Mainly what should i look for when buying a b5. Saw a few posts on craigslist localy and been considering them for a while. If i do get one im leaning towards the quattro considering its awd for a decent price.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/576194999.html
Is that what i should expect for a buy in milage and condition for the price?

Any other tips and advice would be greatly appreciated also.

Thanks to all who will help with anwsering my questions.

Thanks again!

Old 02-17-2008, 02:59 AM
Old 02-17-2008, 03:43 AM
Default RE: Wanting a B5 Audi

if you are looking to modify, your oly real/logical/feasible option is a 1.8T

quattro is obviously a must, 5 speed is another must

I would say the major things to look for would be documentation off all maintenance...don't buy a car that need things right off the bat

our cars have to have their timing belt changed every 70-90K, you must make sure that this service has been done

make sure they have documentation of all oil changes, the 1.8T motor has notorious sludge issues

when tou test drive it listen for unusual noises, make sure the clutch/breaks and steering all feel solid

It looks like you are looking for a very low cost A4, the link you posted was for an unmoddalbe(12v motor, not a desireable motor(it is the older sluggish 2.8 design)), high mileage car...

I will tell you right now to try and find a car that is "flawless"....

look to spend around 6-7K for an A4 1.8T quattro Manual, with documentation, a good coat of paint, nice interior and less than 100K on the clock

you should also plan on keeping an extra thousand dollars off to the side, because although these cars are normally very very reliable, occasionally they will have a hiccup, and before you know it, you are 1k in the hole

two weeks ago I had to replace my CV axles (just under $300 just for parts) and then a couple days later my driveshaft went on me (another $655)...this happened in one weeks time and I had no previous warning....the repairs tend to sneak up on you...

well hopefully you are mechanically inclined and feel confident that you can handle some do it yourself stuff...I have saved a couple thousand dollars this year installing parts and diagnosing problems on my own(with help from the awesome members on this forum of coarse!)

alright, well, hopefully something I said will help you out....

good luck!