B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

want to hear my turbo better.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:17 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: want to hear my turbo better.

exhaust would help too

Old 02-18-2008, 12:33 PM
1st Gear

i swissed the side of my box closest to the wheel. i hear engine intake and a little more sound from the turbo...........and B6 and the passat have a slightly bigger turbo, i think they call it the k03 sport, but still my chipped turbo is pushing a lot more air than their stock turbos and their's are very noticeable from inside the car.......you know its turbocharged just riding in it with no radio. if i get on it in mine its definitely fast but you have to really listen to hear the turbo. theres is something different in the design, turbo, intake or exhaust. just wish i knew what it was.

for example some turbo diesel trucks i've worked on have a silencer ring before the intake side of the turbo.......take it off and it sounds like an 18 wheeler from the turbo sound. doubt my B5 has that but there has to be something that makes it quieter than a B6.

thanks for the serious responses.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 PM
5th Gear

even a swiss cheese airbox won't be as loud as a cone intake. and the b6's have a dual exhaust instead of your single. i wouldn't really call a k03s "bigger" but it pushes a few more psi, but like you said, since your chipped, you should be able to hear it more than them. with a test pipe, exhaust, and intake my turbo is very audible

Old 02-18-2008, 12:57 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: turbo kraut

aren't the b6's and the passats 180/190 hp cars v the b5's 150/170 hp...... there might be more technology between models, is the b6 a fwd car, cause the passat even if it is 4motion the engine sits with turbo by firewall which would make it closer to the cabin maybe that is why

like i said, i just swissed the front of my box, not the bottom... have a k&n drop in and i hear my turbo.... hard to hear over the rice can i have on the car now, and might be when i get the new magnaflow and tp, too....... but when i had my cone filter i heard it even better than i do now and i heard my dv really well.. now no dv noise, but that is cool
Passat is longitudinal mount, just like the A4 - so the turbo does not sit next to the firewall.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

how does the test pipe do for overall sound, engine and turbo? good point on the dual exhaust, don't know exactly what difference that would make but it is something different.

and yes the passat is longitudinal.......i've driven jettas and lord knows my dad's 2.7twin turbo is louder, but i'm comparing the same setups.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm make believe

Duals wont do anything. The cat like the airbox muffle up the sound. All you really need is an intake to hear the turbo. Just remember, the turbo is tiny and doesnt flow enough air to be to loud.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:40 PM
2nd Gear

K03S is a big difference. I'm guessing the sound deadening material/placement would make a huge difference too.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm make believe

The ko3s on the transverse engines actually come with a silencer/muffler on them.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:32 PM

I had a 00passat and when I got the flex pipe replaced, the turbo bcame very loud. The same thing happenned 2 weeks ago when I got the flex pipe replaced on my 01 a4 TQM. The turbo became very loud. The spool sound is almost annoying now.(but i still like it) I think the sound is due to the flex pipe not being OEM because it was replaced at a regular muffler place. I looked at it and the new flex pipe is a little smaller in diameter than the orignal one. Do you guys think the smaller diameterflex pipe is more restrictive? I told the guy but he insists that it isn't, he has "been doing this for 35 years". What do you guys think? I personally thinkhe's a dumbass.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm make believe

He is a dumbass. Turbo cars need no restrictions after the turbo. How big depends on the turbo and power level. 2.5" is the smallest you can go w/o being much of a restriction.

Quick Reply: want to hear my turbo better.