B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Want to finish off my car's system.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:17 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by statdev
Have a guide or some info on setting up a system with this lame *** bose crap?
I should of answered this earlier sorry lol. If you order stuff from Crutchfield they usually include wiring diagrams and such. But what is it you are asking? Like what kind of speakers? How to replace? Or just wiring?

Old 01-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Administrator

I run a single 10" sub and although right now the box spans across the trunk (it also has a rack for the amp), I'm building a new setup for it that might work for you too. I'm going to be flush-trimming the whole trunk with the sub in the driver's side rear corner, firing across the trunk. The amp will be across from it on the passenger side. This will leave a clear pass-through all the way to the back of the rear seats. If you did a similar setup, you'd still have the vast majority of your trunk and keep the sub in there as well.

Oh, and unless you love rap and trying to blow the mortar off buildings when you drive by, a single good 10" sub with a solid amp (mine only is 160w RMS) is more than enough - even with that setup, it punches nice and hard with my tunes (I'm into metal).

Old 01-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by somebody5788
I should of answered this earlier sorry lol. If you order stuff from Crutchfield they usually include wiring diagrams and such. But what is it you are asking? Like what kind of speakers? How to replace? Or just wiring?
Crutchfield will give you everything you need to install whatever you buy. Order door speakers, and you'll get diagrams for how to remove the door panels of your model year A4. Get a head unit, and you'll get a model-year specific step-by-step on how to install it. They're very good like that.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:23 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Crutchfield will give you everything you need to install whatever you buy. Order door speakers, and you'll get diagrams for how to remove the door panels of your model year A4. Get a head unit, and you'll get a model-year specific step-by-step on how to install it. They're very good like that.
Also when there price seems a little high its usually because the give you "free" install hardware that more then makes up for the price.

My amp is rated for 100x2 rms. Being a 2 channel I kind of feel like using it as one and I can get EVERYTHING including line out converter and wires to install 2 small subs in the car for 211 plus shipping thats also including the 2 front speakers. It's just an amazing deal but I am open to suggestions for subwoofers. I may just upgrade the rear deck to 6.5's and go w/ a sub later if its not enough. Honestly the stock Bose is barely lacking in base IMO. I just want something you can feel a little more. And if I went w/ a 10" is a speaker grill enough to protect it from something flying around in my trunk? lol

Edit #2
I just got an idea. Mount the subs in a small box outside of the car then screw them in to the bottom the rear deck from the top after cutting some of the metal out. I could make my own small boxes easily and then mounting wouldn't be as hard if they just kind of hung from it. How thin is the metal up there? Should be strong enough right? How well is the cover on the rear deck attached do I need to worry about attaching it a little better?

Last edited by somebody5788; 01-09-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:31 PM
5th Gear

sounds like you need a stealthbox.

another idea is do custom work and mount one woofer on driver's side in the trunk near the door. that space is usually used for the cdc, phatbox etc but just take that stuff out and make your own bracket to fit the sub. you can mount the amp right on the rear deck in the trunk. i think somebody did that once. if you wanted a second woofer, put it on the other side of the trunk. it might stick out a little bit but it's the only other idea i can think of

the metal is strong enough to hold the woofers but if you're blasting rap that hits rly low like 8-bit bass or something, you might not want to mount it there. for example, if you listen to songs like a milli-lil wayne, not a good idea lol. i should do a vid of how my deck dances to my bass

Old 01-09-2009, 06:53 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hiwords
sounds like you need a stealthbox.

another idea is do custom work and mount one woofer on driver's side in the trunk near the door. that space is usually used for the cdc, phatbox etc but just take that stuff out and make your own bracket to fit the sub. you can mount the amp right on the rear deck in the trunk. i think somebody did that once. if you wanted a second woofer, put it on the other side of the trunk. it might stick out a little bit but it's the only other idea i can think of

the metal is strong enough to hold the woofers but if you're blasting rap that hits rly low like 8-bit bass or something, you might not want to mount it there. for example, if you listen to songs like a milli-lil wayne, not a good idea lol. i should do a vid of how my deck dances to my bass
Lol well even w/ stock bose the rear view mirror dances w/ that song on.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:05 PM
5th Gear

your rear view mirror sux because mine doesn't dance unless i have my bass on rly high with the volume almost all the way up.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:06 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hiwords
your rear view mirror sux because mine doesn't dance unless i have my bass on rly high with the volume almost all the way up.
Do you have auto dimming one? I have your plain jane mirror just like any other car

Old 01-10-2009, 09:01 PM
1st Gear

I have factory bose speakers in the doors and a pair of 8" subs mounted on my rear deck up firing and I think it sounds great for what it is. 200 watts RMS to each sub and I don't hit every note I want but it fills in all the notes that I was missing before plus some decent bass when songs like Milli comes on.

I made a custom sealed box, mounted the subs, and then hung the box from the rear deck after I cut holes for the subs to stick through. If you look down through my grilles, you can see my subs so that turned out really cool.

Last edited by MNB5tuner; 01-10-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:33 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by MNB5tuner
I have factory bose speakers in the doors and a pair of 8" subs mounted on my rear deck up firing and I think it sounds great for what it is. 200 watts RMS to each sub and I don't hit every note I want but it fills in all the notes that I was missing before plus some decent bass when songs like Milli comes on.

I made a custom sealed box, mounted the subs, and then hung the box from the rear deck after I cut holes for the subs to stick through. If you look down through my grilles, you can see my subs so that turned out really cool.
You stole my idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL well its good to hear that it worked. What subs did you use? If you have Aim add me and we'll talk later so I can get all my facts straight.

Quick Reply: Want to finish off my car's system.