B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Want to finish off my car's system.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:16 PM
3rd Gear
Default Want to finish off my car's system.

Well right now crutchfield has a hell of a deal on the speakers and subs i want so I think I will be finishing off my system. 2 Polk 5.25's for the front doors and 2 polk 8" subs for the rear deck for 170 bux!!!! I already have 6.5's in my rear doors so Im good there. So what I need to know now is is it easy to make some 8" subs fit in the rear deck? Seems it shouldn't be too difficult but I have no idea since I've never taken it apart. And the guys out there that put 5.25's in the front how deep is it? The one's im getting are very deep and I want to make sure not too deep.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

Have a guide or some info on setting up a system with this lame *** bose crap?

Old 01-09-2009, 01:12 AM
1st Gear

You can mount 5.25" speakers in the front by making a bracket for it. Stock is really a 4" mounted on the door panel itself. Depth is not an issue.

8" on the Rear deck will have to be reinforced by either cutting a piece of wood the entire length of the rear deck or welded. You can cut holes for them in the thin sheet metal but they will vibrate the thin metal of the rear deck and get crappy sound.

Depending on the 8" woofers you may need an enclosure for them. Check the specs, sometimes they sound okay without an enclosure (free air)

You may need an amplifier for the woofers, you'll just need a hi-lo converter at the amplifier.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Yeah i agree ^. I don't think fitting them in there is going to be a problem so much as keeping them from sounding like crap once they're in there. I'm thinkin if you reinforced the back deck with some plywood from underneath, then built enclosures for them, that would sound ok.

As far as making that work with the stock stereo setup, you're gonna have to figure that out as you go i think. If you remove the stock speakers and re-route the wiring through a 2-channel amp you should be able to get some decent power into them.

You're obviously gonna lose all the high frequency output though, are those 6.5's in the rear doors 2 or 3 way? If they aren't, you're gonna lose some of the depth of your music in the back =/

Old 01-09-2009, 09:12 AM
3rd Gear

I already have the 6.5's in the back and they are technically 2 way w/ cross overs. I opted not to put the tweeters and cross overs in the rear though. I may be putting the tweeters from the Polk system in front but I haven't decided. I will only be using this setup on the stock head unit till I can get an AVIC and 00-01 console. The Polk speakers work great for the mid's and lows so the system should be well balanced w/ the tweeters up front. As for the rear deck subs. I am not 100% decided but I mean w/ purchase of the front speakers the subs are only 40 bux for the pair! This is just CHEAP considering I payed 150 about 8 months ago just for the 2 rear speakers. I may make a custom box for the rear deck but there are a few free air ones made by kicker that I considered. Or does anyone think I should just put some 6.5's back there? I already have an amp for the rear deck but its about 100 something watts rms x2 would be fine for 2 speakers or 2 small subs.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Administrator

I dunno I would say just for ease of installation, you might wanna go with a coupla 2 or 3 way 6.5's instead of the woofers. You're not gonna get quite as much bass response from the smaller ones but it'd be way less of a PITA to get them in there

Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 AM
5th Gear

nic i think you should get a sub setup for the trunk. if you're rly against that, i'd do the 8" on the rear deck but reinforce the rear deck first. there's really not much space to put a large piece of wood under the rear deck cover but you can drill some holes and put the wood under the deck in the trunk. the stock speakers are mount rly close to the sides so if you needed to make a larger hole in the sheet metal, it would probably turn out ovalish but that shouldn't be a problem if you're reinforcing it. i'd also get a separate amp for the 2x8"s so you can actually use them more.

i was just looking on crutchfield but they don't have the bottom mount depth dimension for a lot of the speakers. the top mount and bottom mount depth dimensions from the speakers recommended to me by one of their advisors are 1 7/8" so don't go too much bigger.

Last edited by hiwords; 01-09-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Yeah, to fit the 8" subs back there, you're going to need free-air/infinite baffle subs, and you'll have to cut away some of the framework under the deck cover. It can be done but it may be more hassle than it's worth.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:57 PM
3rd Gear

The only reason I don't want subs in the trunk is because I use the trunk to carry things around town for work at least once a week sometimes daily. I could get some 6.5" "subwoofers" though.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:11 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by statdev
Have a guide or some info on setting up a system with this lame *** bose crap?
Bose is nice!

Quick Reply: Want to finish off my car's system.