B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

VVME HID vs. Halogen (photo)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:23 PM

I had it mounted between the ww fluid reservoir and the abs module and I noticed that the abs module would sometimes get hot and over heat the ballast. so I would move it somewhere else

Old 12-10-2008, 09:24 PM
3rd Gear

I say a big NO to installing HID kits into standard halogen/non-projector housings. Upgrade your housings. HID's produce too much light and a standard housing doesn't aim the light it just blinds everyone.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

^agreed.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:31 PM
5th Gear

i have pix in my album of my install. works awesome and bright as a ****. had a campus shine his high beams in my eyes and cut me off when we were both making a left turn at a light. maybe i should lower the lights a little lol

Old 12-10-2008, 09:54 PM

i agree on getting new housings. projector beams are the way to go if you're going HID. my bad experience was one of the bulbs burnt out as soon as i turned them on, it could have been my fault or it could have been manufacture defect. whatever it was it was under warranty so i sent it back and i still havent gotten a new bulb. that was 4 months ago. also i didnt like how long it took for them to illuminate especially if it was cold. they would flash on like normal to ignite the gas then get super dim and take a good 5 seconds to get to normal light temp. so if it was dark out and i needed light fast i'd have to wait. not safe if you as me.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by akielb
I say a big NO to installing HID kits into standard halogen/non-projector housings. Upgrade your housings. HID's produce too much light and a standard housing doesn't aim the light it just blinds everyone.
They don't put out nearly as much light as you think. And mine are aimed pretty low. They're better than the halogens, but they in no way blind anybody. I swapped cars with a buddy of mine and drove in front of him. It wasn't at all annoying.

I'll upgrade my housings when I find a good set of S4 ones. I might end up getting some ebay 1-piece housings, but then I'll have to change to H1 bulbs. I'd prefer to stick to OEM S4's.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bottlecap
i agree on getting new housings. projector beams are the way to go if you're going HID. my bad experience was one of the bulbs burnt out as soon as i turned them on, it could have been my fault or it could have been manufacture defect. whatever it was it was under warranty so i sent it back and i still havent gotten a new bulb. that was 4 months ago. also i didnt like how long it took for them to illuminate especially if it was cold. they would flash on like normal to ignite the gas then get super dim and take a good 5 seconds to get to normal light temp. so if it was dark out and i needed light fast i'd have to wait. not safe if you as me.
Yeah, they do flash bright, then dim, then warm up...and yes, it takes about 5 seconds...but they're cheap!! Consider it the "budget HID" kit....

When I can alot more funds for better lights, I'll go that route...but there are plenty of people on here that use them.

I wasn't wanting to start a thread on whether or not they are any good, or whether it's awful to use them in OEM housings.

I was simply trying to aid in showing the comparison between halogen and 4300K VVME lights.

So far, I like them a lot. They are not offensive at all.