B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

VSS location!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:36 PM
1st Gear
Default VSS location!

I definitely did a search on this FYI!

I'm looking to see if anyone knows where the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire is that connects the speedometer to the top of the transmission. Unfortunately I cant find this other than knowing it's held by a 10 mm bolt and is on the top side of the transmission. The bentley pictures dont exactly help either because i cant see what they are showing. Lately, I've already tried to find it by "feeling" for it. No luck so far.

The reason why i'm doing this is because i'm trying to clean the end of the wire connected to the tranny because my speedometer is reading zero when i'm going faster than traffic.

Please help me!

Old 05-18-2008, 05:03 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: VSS location!

no one knows?

Old 04-27-2009, 03:18 AM
1st Gear

I am right there with you. I put it on the lift and couldnt see it from below and I tried to find it from above as well. I have the 2.8 so there isn't much extra room in the engine bay. Any help out there?

Old 05-03-2009, 02:11 AM
1st Gear
Default VSS Found!

I got the new Speed Sensor installed today. I have a US spec 2.8L V6 2WD. On my car, the sensor is located on the driver's side of the differential at the very bottom of the car. It can only be reached easily by taking off the drivers side front tire and reaching through the hole around the axle. There is a metal plate that surrounds the axle and makes access a real challenge. The swap out took some time as I had to find that way to get to the part. Once I figured that out, it came in and out pretty easily. First pull out the retaining clip for the wiring harness and remove harness. Then push down on the tab to release the holds and turn the sensor towards you about 1/4 turn, then pull it out. Put in the new one at the same angle and turn away from you back into the hold. Reapply the wiring harness and then the hardest part: the retaining clip for the wiring harness was a royal pain to reapply as you have almost no room to work and you cant see what you are doing. Total time for me was around 1 hour once I decided to take off the wheel. I could probably do it much faster now, but if you leave yourself two hours you should be fine. Good luck to anybody that needs to get the speedometer sensor replaced. I hope that this post helps. It fixed my problem for less than $30!

Old 02-03-2013, 04:12 AM
1st Gear
Default Speedo Not Working

Thank you "Purple Frogs" im going to attempt this fix tomorrow, i hope it works!!