B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

a very sad day for me

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Site Moderator

Thats a low end knock. Whatever it is its towards the bottom of the engine.
If it is the flexplate being loose its gonna throw the engine off balance and cause some massive crank walk. In other words you will need to rebuild the bottom end of the motor if the clearances are too large. I would have a mechanic pull the trans to have a look around, it should be apparent to a pro just by inspecting it and doing a few measurements. If he finds the flex plate bolts are loose then you might need to scrap the motor. Can't know for sure until you get in there.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

hiwords, i could do that except for the fact that im only 17 and u-haul prolly wont let me rent a truck and as of right now i have a suspended license so i can only drive to work and school so its not getting too much driving at all...

i put a long straight edge on my block and theres deff something going on down there that doesnt sound good but i am bringing it to CanTech, all they do is work on high end cars like ferrari and porsche and an a few lambos but im bringing it to them friday to look at it and give me some feedback on what i should do next...im gunna see what they can do and how much it will cost me to do that...

Old 02-25-2010, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

so i had them look at my car earlier... its the crank shaft pulley. i guess the guy who had it before me over tightened one bolt, stripped another bolt, didnt put a bolt on tight enough and the last one was good ( the only one left on)...the mechanic hasnt gotten back to me about pricing but he said its gunna be somewhere in the 1100 dollar range (which is soo high) because he told me that he was gunna do a whole new t-belt. when he calls back im gunna tell him to pack it all back up and ill be over to pick her back up and leave her in the garage. so now im gunna be doing a timing belt which means im going down to binghamton to catch up on somethings with jermey aka ImTheDevil and have him have a whack at the car. so now i guess im in need of t-belt parts!!

Old 02-25-2010, 12:32 PM
2nd Gear

$1100 would have been way, way overpriced. Honestly, that's quite an easy fix and it does not require a new timing belt, but you might as well do one while you're in there. If it's near due, do the whole deal. If it's been a while but isn't due, just do the belt and tensioner and forget all the extra stuff.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

well i guess the guy before me did the T-Belt and i guess he messed it up pretty bad, but my wonderful mother is paying for it since im only 17 and this is my first car =D but id rather have it go down to binghamton to have ImTheDevil aka Jermey work on it cuz i trust his work over anyone else

Old 02-25-2010, 03:38 PM
2nd Gear

I'm sure he'll do good work for you, but an Audi for a first car... man, hope you're willing to learn how to do some work on it.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:57 PM
2nd Gear

WOWEE! lol, this gives me so much hope for my issue! I just did the Tbelt, and i've got what sounds like a rod knock, out of the blue. I think its probably because I used an impact gun to put the crank pulley on. (Girlfriend's dad who's a retired mechanic told me to). We didnt have the tools, so thats how it went. I'll source the right tool and torque it to spec!

Old 02-25-2010, 04:19 PM
2nd Gear

You don't really need any tools to do the pulley other than a ratchet, the appropriate socket (well, hex key socket thing) and something to stick through the pulley to brace it.

If you mean the timing gear, you NEED to get that right. That thing needs to be cranked down HARD. I am not an avid torque wrench user because it's rarely necessary in my opinion, but DO use it for that.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

ya i know but the mother is paying for the repair so im not gunna complain on how it gets done but im a little upset that i jermey wont be able to do it

Old 02-26-2010, 12:28 AM
2nd Gear

No, I didn't remove the timing gear, just the crank pulley (a necessary step for the tbelt.)
My buddy has the VAG tools to lock the pulley's into place, so I'll just retrace my steps and look for this knock. Gonna pull the bumper, unhook the core support, pull it out as far as the radiator hoses will allow and systematically remove the belts one at a time and start the motor. This will allow me to pinpoint the cause. Hopefully its not a rod knock, as the exhaust shop owner believes. There's no reason to think there would be knock. If none of the accessory belts are the cause, then I'll pull the core support completely off and check the timing again. If I still can't find the cause, then it's likely bye-bye B5.
One other symptom, besides the knocking, is the engine is running hot. Before (as i would assume is the case with other audis) the coolant temp would stop at the half way point on the gauge. Didnt matter if it was 110 or 10 degrees outside. Now, its just going up and up. It hasn't gotten to the end so far, but I haven't been driving it hardly at all due to the knock. Exhaust guy said it was probably due to a retarded timing. Any thoughts?