B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Valve tick at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:56 AM
1st Gear
Default Valve tick at idle

Ive got a 2000 a4 1.8t quattro and i have valve tick at idle. Is this normal. I hate the noise, its so loud. What can i do to stop it. Something easy or am i looking at changing springs and retainers, or?

Old 10-24-2008, 02:11 AM

I hate the noise too because it makes the car seem cheap. But as far as I know, its completely normal, ive even heard brand new audi and vw and they did it too.. Its the loud injectors or something like that..

Old 10-24-2008, 02:17 AM
1st Gear

Oh, huh. Thats weird though. Youd think they would do something to atleast muffle the sound. Well thats good to know though.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:40 AM
1st Gear

They did... those engine covers, top and bottom. Perhaps you need to run a thinner oil, or do a treatment.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:12 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by EpicWin
They did... those engine covers, top and bottom. Perhaps you need to run a thinner oil, or do a treatment.
Not to take over the OP's post, but I've got a ticking noise in my engine too.

Symptoms:

When the engine is under load, it ticks for about the first 2-3 minutes of driving.

If I start the car from cold, and let it run for a few minutes, the ticking never happens.

The ticking also never happens at idle, even when cold. It only happens when under load. I've even applied the brakes, put it in Drive and gave it a little gas. It ticked when I did that, but if I put it into Park and bring up the RPMs, it doesn't do it.

I've noticed that when I start it from cold, and drive away, if I go easy on the gas (grandma driving) it doesn't tick. But even moving at 20MPH and giving it a little more gas to accelerate it starts to tick.

I DO know that the last time the oil was changed (by the previous owner, not me) it was done with mineral oil 10w-30.

I'm going to change the oil on November 1st.

Per your recommendation on a different oil, what do you run? I'll probably buy Mobil 1, but what weight?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:17 AM

Try changing the oil, I had a small tick once and it got me worried. After I changed the oil it went away. I change my oil every 5k miles and I went a little over and it started to make the noise. I've read it could the lifters making the noise.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:20 PM
1st Gear

Just did an oil change not even a week ago. I used 5w30 though and i live in maine. Maybe i should throw in a thinner oil next time. Probably grab 4 quarts of 0w40 for my next oil change.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:26 PM
2nd Gear

My car has lifter tick for the first 5 min of warming up under load. I cant find a way to get rid of it tho...

Old 10-24-2008, 05:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Quattro_1.8t
My car has lifter tick for the first 5 min of warming up under load. I cant find a way to get rid of it tho...
Glad to know it isn't just mine.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:53 PM
3rd Gear

yea its probably sticky lifters, these cars are prone to crap build up in the oil passages, particularly the pickup tube. throw half a can of seafoam in there and drive around for 100 miles. then right before you change the oil throw the other half a can of seafoam in there and go for a quick drive around the block, dont beat on the car with the seafoam in the engine, then let the car idle for like 10 minuits. then change the oil. that should greatly reduce the noise. i would also use 0w40 fully synthetic for some more protection. if that doesnt help check your cam chain tensioner just to make sure thats not whats making the noise.

Quick Reply: Valve tick at idle