B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

VAG-COM Warez

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:54 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
I can tell you from experience,that is comes down to software,i had 3 versions of vag-com software installed and only 1 version worked with my 3rd party vag-com cable i purchased from china off ebay.

So there is nothing wrong with the cable itself, the software has to be compatible with said vag-com cable.

I agree with what was said about some that only need a vag-com cable/software for simple tasks,not like a shop would. Not everyone can afford a 300.00 cable,along with 99.00 dollar software for a total of 400.00 and that's not even counting the cost of the actual repair that you need to have done,once your vag-com cable diagnoses your DTC!

I say,save that 400.00 for repairs and buy a 10.00 3rd party vag-com cable off ebay and the free software,we are all effected buy a recession these days.

Have some compassion and not be so quick to juge and request someone to be banned from audiforums,you don't know why this person can't afford to buy a ross-tech cable and the 99.00 legit software.

Just because you have a job and can afford it,does'nt mean everyone esle does have a job and can afford it.

original poster,did you get squared away with software yet?
Welcome to wonderful life of being an Audi owner.. Its kind of a given that when you buy an Audi. Parts and even tools are going to cost you a lot of money. Something you should have been prepared for before buying the car.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:03 PM
2nd Gear

first off,i don't know why you are reffering to me,i was simply speaking on the vag-com software and the way those 2 members were going off on the original poster.

Second i don't have a issue financially with getting my baby Audina repaired.

Being able to afford repairs on our B5's has nothing to do with paying for a cable and software that can cost you either 400.00 or 10.00,i rather spend 400.00 on Audina,than on a cable that i can get for only 10.00 and does the same thing as one for 300.00,there is a 99.00 fee for the full version and a free version.

Tools and the ability to DIY(do it yourself) is totally a different thing,altogether,which was'nt anything close to what i,nor the original poster was talking about.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:22 PM
4th Gear

Sorry if i came off on you alone, i was just posting in reference to what you said..

i have both cables because its basically having the right tool for the right job.. my 10$ cable can only get me so far.. i do a lot with vag-com. Re-Coding, Logging, and Taking readings.. my 10$ cable wont work in some of those areas, even with a full version of vag-com.. chinese tools are a hit and miss... kinda like buying a tool from harbor freight, over a craftsman or a snap-on. the price is good and it will do what you need to do for that time being.

i understand what u mean by rather spending the money on repairs or something else. For me, the cable has pretty much paid for its self now.

and yeah... OP PM ME!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:23 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Originally Posted by morpheous
Not everyone can afford a 300.00 cable,along with 99.00 dollar software for a total of 400.00

Not sure what cable you are looking at or what software you think you need to buy, but when I bought my cable ($220 Genuine Ross-Tech) from an authorized reseller, the free, full version, often updated software was unlocked and working fine.

I have a hard time reconciling myself to advocate the use of illegally obtained versions of the Ross-Tech software especially when they GIVE AWAY the free version. Just because you are too cheap to spring for a quality cable.....

*not trying to bash anyone. just providing my personal experience and opinion*

Old 03-21-2011, 07:33 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
Not sure what cable you are looking at or what software you think you need to buy, but when I bought my cable ($220 Genuine Ross-Tech) from an authorized reseller, the free, full version, often updated software was unlocked and working fine.

I have a hard time reconciling myself to advocate the use of illegally obtained versions of the Ross-Tech software especially when they GIVE AWAY the free version. Just because you are too cheap to spring for a quality cable.....

*not trying to bash anyone. just providing my personal experience and opinion*
Who cares if the software is free? The free version is pretty much useless because it doesn't work with cheap ebay cables or replicas of real cables. The way I see it is this: I have a choice between a $250+ (I'm in Canada so everything is more expensive here) cable or a $60 one that perform almost identically but is a bit more finicky and difficult to set up, I'll obviously go for the cheaper one and save $190.

Just for the record, morpheous please stop saying the $10 cable is just as functional as the real cable. It's nowhere near as good and in reality is not much more than a generic a serial-usb converter. Real vagcom cables are native usb so they can transfer data much faster with much lower latencies, that's why cheap cables are next to useless for datalogging.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:43 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
Who cares if the software is free? The free version is pretty much useless because it doesn't work with cheap ebay cables or replicas of real cables. The way I see it is this: I have a choice between a $250+ (I'm in Canada so everything is more expensive here) cable or a $60 one that perform almost identically but is a bit more finicky and difficult to set up, I'll obviously go for the cheaper one and save $190.

Just for the record, morpheous please stop saying the $10 cable is just as functional as the real cable. It's nowhere near as good and in reality is not much more than a generic a serial-usb converter. Real vagcom cables are native usb so they can transfer data much faster with much lower latencies, that's why cheap cables are next to useless for datalogging.
sorry but i can only speak from my experiences and i stand by my statement...the 10.00 cables can perform the same tasks as the 300.00 cables,i can access every single module,within Audina with 3 cables i purchased from ebay and yes,i can perform real time data logging with all 3 of my cables.

but that isn't even the point of this thread,so can we please get back on topic? original poster,you need to pm me or someone else that is trying to help you.

Too the previous poster,you use the word"cheap" to describe someone that you think is being this way,you don't know that persons financial situation,therefore you should'nt say they are being cheap.

It's a shame that there are so many people that have no compassion,whatsoever in their heart for anyone,other than themselves these days.

People are trying to get by in this reccession,anyway they can,it's obvious that all the people that are calling for blood by asking for a member to be banned,have the funds to buy a cable for 300.00 and the full version for $99.00. So they feel,if they paid for a full version of software and a cable for 300.00,so should everyone else,regardless if they cannot afford it.

I'm pretty sure if they are the ones without a job or receiving unemployment or just simply struggling to make ends meet,they would feel very different about wiether or not,they get a cable for 300.00 opposed to 10.00 or the crippled free version.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:10 PM
2nd Gear

the cables and all might work but if you care about things why wouldnt you do it right? you bought an audi(luxury car) u have moeny to reapir it.. why not buy the right tool to do the right job, christ they offer a free version use that its FREE. if your really trying to pirate this **** download it off the net illegally its not hard. buy the product crack it yourself return product? theres options but since you bought an audi you shojuld care and about it and buy it the right parts and tools.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 PM
2nd Gear

"sigh" lets try this one more time..

#1 The free version is useless,doesn't allow you to clear codes,unless its registered,plus the fact that the free version,doesn't work with 3rd party vag-com cables,purchased from ebay/china.

#2 the cable i already own,does EVERYTHING that the 300.00 cable does,for me atleast,i can't speak for everyone else,results obviously vary.

#3 you keep on speaking on the fact that i or anyone else should buy the best tools for our B5,which have nothing to do with what the original poster is reffering too.

My cables work and accomplish everything that i need it too...so your point is null and void here. I can understand if i was trying to perform a task,that only a ross-tech cable can accomplish,then i would either purchase or just deal with the fact that i can't perform that task.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 PM
1st Gear

deleted

Last edited by foxracing4500; 01-13-2024 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:29 PM
2nd Gear

the fbi did trace my ip no **** for piracy lol

i agree when you can cut corners you should yes, i am refering to software related, the hardware is corner cutting approved. can you just buy the software anyways i have been wonderign that anyone who refers to a VAG says the VAG cable software or somethign that leads me to believe u need their cable because it contains the software. Does it come with a disc or is it all in the cable?

Quick Reply: VAG-COM Warez