B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

vacuum lines and hoses.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 01:20 PM
1st Gear

really dum question: what are those vacuum lines for? I know they control the locks at the doors. and what else?

Old 08-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pitao
really dum question: what are those vacuum lines for? I know they control the locks at the doors. and what else?
Not a dumb question at all! You're only partially right, though. While the door locks ARE operated by vacuum, that system has its own vacuum pump, which is what allows the doors to work when the engine is not running. Its located in the trunk. If you search for "central locking pump" you'll find many (often quite entertaining) threads on the subject.

The vac lines we're referring to in this thread are all around the engine. When an internal combustion engine is running and the throttle body is all or partly closed, it creates a vacuum. This vacuum is stored and routed to various different parts in the engine compartment inside vac lines for different purposes. For example, the waste gate, diverter valve, and brake booster are all vacuum operated. That's why when you press your brake pedal with the engine turned off, it gets harder to push.

If you poke around the engine compartment you'll find one or more softball-sized plastic spheres, either blue or black. These are vacuum reservoirs. Sorry for the long winded response, but does that make any sense?

Old 08-20-2011, 02:35 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Not a dumb question at all! You're only partially right, though. While the door locks ARE operated by vacuum, that system has its own vacuum pump, which is what allows the doors to work when the engine is not running. Its located in the trunk. If you search for "central locking pump" you'll find many (often quite entertaining) threads on the subject.

The vac lines we're referring to in this thread are all around the engine. When an internal combustion engine is running and the throttle body is all or partly closed, it creates a vacuum. This vacuum is stored and routed to various different parts in the engine compartment inside vac lines for different purposes. For example, the waste gate, diverter valve, and brake booster are all vacuum operated. That's why when you press your brake pedal with the engine turned off, it gets harder to push.

If you poke around the engine compartment you'll find one or more softball-sized plastic spheres, either blue or black. These are vacuum reservoirs. Sorry for the long winded response, but does that make any sense?
Yes bro. See, you're a smart guy like the other guy said! I just say the tighter the better lol. I just learned something today thanks to you about the door locks.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

I know that vacuum lines, lol. I thought that you guys were talking about the "accessory" vacum line.

thanks a lot for the explanation

Old 08-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by A4 2000
I'm glad we got things straight now! Ha, ha.
Originally Posted by wingysataday
CC4 don't be so hard on yourself. You are a smart guy.
Originally Posted by A4 2000
Yes bro. See, you're a smart guy like the other guy said!
Yeah I was being sarcastic. I know exactly what the **** I'm talking about, some people just don't listen. Put 9mm vac lines on it I don't give a rat's ***.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:05 AM
gcv
1st Gear

Has anyone replaced the vacuum line to the cranck case with a larger size to increase vacuum?

The aim being to decrease oil consumption.

I have only read about this and don't have experience in this area but would like to know if anyone has come across it.

Cheers

gcv

Old 08-27-2011, 04:57 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by gcv
Has anyone replaced the vacuum line to the cranck case with a larger size to increase vacuum?

The aim being to decrease oil consumption.

I have only read about this and don't have experience in this area but would like to know if anyone has come across it.

Cheers

gcv
This is the first time I've heard about this. Are you talking about the crankcase breather tube or the PCV tubing maybe?

Old 08-28-2011, 05:33 AM
gcv
1st Gear

I'm not sure of the tubing arrangement on the 1.8t, I have to do more research. The theory is to increase the vacuum pull to the crank case.

The post I read this about is:

Reduced my oil consumption... quite simply and with a $2 part - Page 2

The poster's engine is a 2l (non turbo). I was wondering if the theory of increasing vacuum to the crank case would work for the 1.8t and if so, how it would be done.

Cheers

gcv

Old 09-14-2011, 12:05 PM
1st Gear

I'm thinking that if one uses 3mm in stead of the 3.5 while it may fit more snug, and while it won't really seem as though it affects the overall performance of the machine, I do agree that if it's 3.5mm they used it's for a reason, I doubt the engineers at Audi said wtf let's just use what we have laying around...It's a whole half a millimeter Just do it right damn it!

Old 09-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by CCA4
Yeah I was being sarcastic. I know exactly what the **** I'm talking about, some people just don't listen. Put 9mm vac lines on it I don't give a rat's ***.
U mad bro?

Quick Reply: vacuum lines and hoses.