B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Vacuum line questions (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 05:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Vacuum line questions (with pics)

I'm trying to replace my vacuum lines to fix a p0411 code, and I have questions.

I put my thumb against the line connecting to the combination valve, and I felt nothing. Then while I was holding it, I heard a click, and could feel the vacuum sucking against my thumb. I could only feel the vacuum pressure for about 5 seconds, then it went back to nothing. Is it supposed to operate intermitantely, or should it always be sucking?

As far as the other hoses go.. how many are there? 3? The one that's confusing me seems to connect to the manifold, then it connects to a different hose which looks like it leads all the way underneath the engine. There is a connector that connects the two hoses, and it looks to be glued together. Here is a pic.

I also took a closeup of the connector, becuase it looks weird to me. Should I replace this hose? Where does it lead? Please click the link to zoom in on the connector. Is this a valve of some sort? [img=http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/963/dsc02446kj0.th.jpg]

The third vac. hose connects to the manifold, then runs all the way across the front of the engine. I'm pretty sure this is a vacuum line, I just want to make sure before I pull it. I can't see where it connects to on the passenger side. In the pic, it's the red line. Is this a vac. line, and where does it connect?

I really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:55 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Vacuum line questions (with pics)

# 3 is the vaccum line to the dv valve it goes from your dv valve on the passanger side across the engine (in front) then hooks to a valve that is under the intake manifold not a fun one to replace but it can be done

the other i can't answer for you

Old 02-11-2008, 11:43 PM
1st Gear

OK, thought so. Thanks a lot for verifying.

Does anyone else have an answer the the first two questions? In particular, the hose in the first pic?

It's a braided hose which looks like it comes off the manifold and goes down the drivers side of the engine. It then connects to a regular, non-braided hose, which leads underneath the engine. The guy who had the car before me had a BOV set up there, and I'm wondering if it has something to do with that. Do your B5's look the same?

Old 02-12-2008, 01:21 AM
3rd Gear

There is one short (3-4") hose from the intake manifold to the Fuel pressure regulator.
There is another that goes along between the engine and the firewall, so might as well replacetthat one too.
10 ft of rubber vac linefrom any parts store shouldbe more than enough and be about$0.50/ftat most.
The material covered/braided linefromthedealer costs more and rots out in 2-3 years causing vacuum leaks all over again.

I also took a closeup of the connector, becuase it looks weird to me. Should I replace this hose? Where does it lead? Please click the link to zoom in on the connector. Is this a valve of some sort? [img=http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/963/dsc02446kj0.th.jpg]
This is the work of someone just connecting 2 hoses together the best they can.