B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

URGENT HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008 | 09:21 AM
|
1st Gear
Default URGENT HELP

hey guys just sold my car last week and i got everything fixed for the safety test i had to fix 2 rear wheels bearings and now my ABS light is on and same with my e-brake light even when its down...anyone know how to take these lights off so i can give it to the lady??

Old 05-24-2008 | 09:24 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: URGENT HELP

did you leave the ABS sensor wire disconnected at one of the rear wheels? if not if you just want the bulbs off without fixing issues just unscrew the clocks (2 screws under top of steering column access by tilt wheel down and move plastic cover) and remove said bulbs. maybe pads sensor notconnected right????

Old 05-24-2008 | 09:33 AM
|
1st Gear

no the ABS sensor was destroyed cuz it was touching the bearing...so i have to take the cluster out ur saying?...how do i know which bulb is which?

Old 05-24-2008 | 09:42 AM
1st Gear

if you still have the plug from abs sensor that was destryoed you can plug it in and join the two wires together so it thinks it is in place but easier to remove cluster and take out the bulb. When you take it off it will prob be a bit tricky as 2 sets of loom going into the cluster at the back and mine did not have muchlength to get the hand behind to disconnect them. when you manage it there is several led/lights that do the general lighting of the instrument panel, these are a different size and generally more tricky to get to in places, if i remember these are the bigger of the 2 sizes. so you are looking at the smaller bulbs. they are in the middle section of the rev and speedo areas in a sort of semi circle shape, before you take clocks out look at wwhich bulbs stays lit on which side and count how many in from left or right it is then you should work out which ones to remove from the semi circles on rear. Suggest before you connect and screw all back into place that you quickly connect wires and turn ignition on first to check you got the right ones. This job took me around 10 mins to do when i had bulbs out around my speedo.

Hope this helps

Old 05-24-2008 | 09:44 AM
1st Gear

new sensor for abs from ebay are around £15- £20 so i guess $30-$40 US if your not in a great rush

Old 05-24-2008 | 09:54 AM
1st Gear

If the sensor isn't working the quattro system isn't going to work correctly either. I wouldn't buy it. And I never saw sensors on ebay for that price or I would buy one.

Old 05-24-2008 | 10:09 AM
|
1st Gear

any pictures of how to remove the cluster?

Old 05-24-2008 | 11:09 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Redrum1

If the sensor isn't working the quattro system isn't going to work correctly either. I wouldn't buy it. And I never saw sensors on ebay for that price or I would buy one.
I am in uk and use UK Ebay that is where i got my ABS sensor from and it cost me £20 or $40 for it obviously paid anothe £5 or $10 for postage but that was the price i paid it is not OEM part but an aftermarket blueprint but it works all the same. Did not realise the quattro system works off it too as i have FWD but if he only wants to get the lights off on dash to sell it this is a way to do just that.

Sorry no photos on clock removal i never thought to do that when i was changing the bulbs,
adjust steering wheel to lowest point, there is a plastic corrogated shaped trim at the back of main plastic steering column that surrounds the steering bar and ignition barrel etc the 2 screws are behind this and it should gently pry away from the back end by the clocks, once 2 screws are out gently waggle the clocks and you will find out the best way to get it out from there.