B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

The Unofficial B5 A4 Chatterbox

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 AM
Administrator

So what are your keypoints that time travel is possible? I'm curious....

BTW procrastination FTW!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:35 AM
3rd Gear

lol yeah too much procrastination ftl. so far I talk about wormholes and black holes as ways to travel to the future and cosmic strings as a way to travel into the past. also wormholes enable past traveling back to where they start. wormholes work like two dots on a piece of paper, if the paper is bent making the dots are closer, the space in air between them would be the wormhole. wormholes need negative energy (matter * light speed^2) to work and they would be portals to and from time. black holes are in space and spin close to the speed of light. speed of light is always ~300k km/s no matter what, even if someone was traveling at 250 km/s and shined a flashlight, the light would only go 300 km/s. if an object is moving close to the speed of light, light will pass it the same way as if the object was standing still, not like a car passing you as someone would probably assume. according to einstein and a bunch of guys that proved it true, time is what changes when going at that speed. the object ages very much more slowly so if you were to go 300k km/s for like a few hours, once you went back to normal earth speed everything would be many many years ahead. since black holes are traveling at that speed, they would theoretically bring an object way ahead in time, but there is no current way of making it through a black hole without being torn apart. cosmic strings are apparently atom wide strings of energy left over from the big bang and they contain enough gravity to curve time and bring an object back to before it started. according to a guy that researched all this stuff about cosmic strings, if something would pass them, it would go into a never ending black hole. not good. a lot of people believe that if you could somehow go into the past, you would go into a parallel universe and everything would be different for you but the same for everyone in the universe you came from.
that all came from the past hour of research and also from donnie darko so it might not be all correct..

class in four hours ftl!

Last edited by aledelic42; 02-22-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

B5 the Next Delorean?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 AM
4th Gear

I know I'm late, (sorry, I was sleeping great all night) but I had a similar situation for a couple online classes I was taking a couple years ago. I had a 30 page short story to write and a 5-6 page disortation on Einstein's General Theory of Relativity in one weekend. The theory of relativity part would have been a great talking point for your speech, would have sounded all smart and stuff, and could easily have taken up 5-7 minutes.

Anyway, all that just to say: "Procrastination is like masturbation. It's feels good at first until in the end, you realize you're just ******* yourself!"

Old 02-22-2010, 11:44 AM
2nd Gear

I remember reading about the Theory of Relativity. Learning about how light bends around planets due to gravity blows my brains out. Its so deep thinking!

Old 02-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Administrator

wow i picked a really weird time to check in on this thread lol

Old 02-22-2010, 02:29 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by kayakman13
I remember reading about the Theory of Relativity. Learning about how light bends around planets due to gravity blows my brains out. Its so deep thinking!

Reading about it is hard enough, try actually wrapping your brain around it well enough to actually write a report about it and actually sounding like you know what the hell it all means...

He's another interesting one since you mentioned gravity... since nothing is faster than the speed of light, what would happen if the sun suddenly impoded on itself and was gone? It would take 8 and a half-ish minutes before we would see that the sun was gone, but how would the earth itself react? Would the earth continue to follow it's orbit for over 8 minutes before the lack of gravity would cause it to go shooting out into space, or would it shoot out into space as soon as the sun disappeared?

Old 02-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Crazy over-thought stuff here. While I was reading aledelic's thing about time-machine, I decided to check out YouTube. There's actually a video about how light literally travels the same speed weather you're going against it or towards it. Pretty crazy stuff.

How did the speech go btw?

Old 02-22-2010, 02:42 PM
4th Gear

That's why light is C in E=MC(squared). C stand for Constant. No matter what, it stays the same... everything else is relative, thus the theory of relativity.

My brain hurts now...

Old 02-22-2010, 05:06 PM
3rd Gear

yeah time is a weird thing. there's a guy (you can find it on youtube) that claims he went into a wormhole and hung out with his older self then came. it barely sounds believable but he had his phone I guess and took a video of them together and showed matching tattoos and stuff, but anyone could find some old guy and a marker and say the same thing. he seemed pretty convincing that he believes it at least. I just had to write the speech for today which was ok I guess, I get to say it next monday. taking the speech class just because it's required for all students. what's everyone else's situation with school or work or whatever? I'm a freshman at penn state, majoring in computer science as of now

Quick Reply: The Unofficial B5 A4 Chatterbox