B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Unitronics rumor

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:44 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Unitronics rumor

ORIGINAL: Leifer

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

is everyone and their mother going with the 50 trim now? but at least i'll have something to compare my Ctapp 50 trim setup to. should be interesting.

Aren't you telling people to do 50trim in every "which BT should i get?" thread?
no, that just ends up being the cheapest way to get the most out of a stock engine. which happens to be most people around here's goal. but a gt28rs setup would be slightly better. the turbo just isn't as cheap. or there's the .86 2871r, little bit more lag but montrous power up top. each of those setups are also good if your looking for more power in the future. you can run the 2871r on 15-20psi and then later if you upgrade internals you can get a race file and run close to 30psi with w/m and **** on any 50 trim setup out there.

there are better options out there, the 50 trim just happens to be the cheapest.

as for the w/m question, yes you could. w/m raises the octane. but a better choice would be to get a 91 octane file and then a race file for use with water/meth. that way you don't HAVE to always use w/m. but you could switch over whenever you wanted.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:47 PM

Brian, are you still doing the 50trim t3t4 .62a/r? Or are you going to do the .48?

Think of turbo lag as foreplay. Do a 10mph rolling start and you'll destroy any car

Old 02-28-2008, 07:29 PM
5th Gear

.63 a/r not .62 but yeah, i dont mind the tiny bit of lag for better top-end. im hopin to get over 400 to the wheels with w/m, hopefully the internals will hold up

Old 02-28-2008, 07:38 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

.63 a/r not .62 but yeah, i dont mind the tiny bit of lag for better top-end. im hopin to get over 400 to the wheels with w/m, hopefully the internals will hold up
lol good luck with that.

If i ran W/M with 91 oct programming, could i plug in with lemmiwinks and manually advance the timing while keeping an eye on the knock sensor reading? i think like 12 or something is as high as we can go without knocking too much

Old 02-28-2008, 07:49 PM
5th Gear

yeah you could mess around with lemmi. i dont know any of the correct values or anything tho so i would research into that first

Old 02-28-2008, 08:17 PM

Brian, you're gonna have to give me more info on w/m injection. I might attempt to do it with a k03 before I do a BT upgrade... my goal is to have a quick car that's manageable as a daily driver. With all BAT supporting mods short of a 3" MAF, how much do you think would be feasible with a k03 setup, without going over the top?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:27 PM
5th Gear

water/meth lowers intake charge, cools IAT's, and boosts octane(among other smaller benefits). you can advance the timing if you are 00+ thru lemmi and a vag cable. a maxed out k03 is gona be around 250hp. but thats pushin 25psi and running w/m and lemmi. and the w/m system will transfer over when you go BT so if you wana buy it now you can.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:53 PM
4th Gear

Is it even worth it on a 99.5? I can't use lemmi on mine so I don't know if it's worth it or not.

Josh

Old 02-28-2008, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Rhinop21

I kind of wish I new what vvt was. Is it like variable timing or somehing supposed to be like vtec lol.
The vvt in the B5 is not the same as VTEC. Variable Valve timing is a generic term with many sub types. Almost every manufacturer has their own version, so they arenot all the same.There are even variations within VTEC, but the majority is classified as a true"cam-switching" type. It actually switches between cam profiles. VVT in the B5 A4 is "cam-phasing", in simple terms it can only change when the valves open, but not the duration (length of time) nor can it vary valve lift. It just allows earlier or later opening. So if you have earlieropening you have earlier closing.The "cam-phasing" type is the least expensive form of VVT, and unforunately the one with the least gain.

Not sure if all, butsome of the newest Audi's have a more advanced version where it's a cam-phasing & cam-switching,called "ValveLift" but I'm pretty sure it's still designed for fuel economy.

Hopefully that helps you...

Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 PM

Brian, I'm looking to hold about 18-20psi, not 25! I don't want to take any chances. But with the w/m injection and lemmi tuning, I'm also going to have a bigger inlet hose, a more secure outlet hose, and a high-flow exhaust mani.

I don't want to push it to the point where I need bigger fuel injectors and oil lines; because at that point I'll throw out the K03 and get a bigger turbo. They seem pretty damn good for the price that you pay; do you have to have it constantly injecting, or is it a timing thing, with when your turbo spikes up that high, your w/m injects so your fuel can burn properly?

Quick Reply: Unitronics rumor