B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Unable to Start - No Turnover

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Default Unable to Start - No Turnover

Hiya,

I just replaced the ignition switch thinking it was the part that was preventing the car from starting, and it was definitely broken, however the car still won't turn over. The previous owner replaced the starter about a year ago, so I don't want to jump and replace that until I possibly find out more answers.

After replacing the ignition switch the steering wheel became locked, which it didn't do previously. I'm wondering if that may have something to do with the car not starting?

The battery works, lights and all other electronics work fine.

It's a manual, and I am depressing the clutch pedal, but I also read somewhere that maybe the neutral detector (Or whatever device in a manual checks to see if the clutch is depressed) could be broken. Wondering how to test this...

Before the new ignition switch was put in the key was VERY difficult to get in. Now it easily slides into the lock cylinder. Also, when the key was turned all the way it wouldn't spring back after release. Now it turns all the way, then once released it will not go back to the "start" position without first turning the key back to acc/off from "on", which I'm guessing is normal. Just figured I'd toss that out there to provide as much info as possible.

also: Audi A4 1996 2.8l Quattro
Thanks,
James

Old 09-23-2008, 08:13 PM
3rd Gear

Try tapping the starter with a bar or hammer while you try the key. Multiple times if necessary but if it starts this way then its a starter. If not then the clutch switch is a good next move to look into. If it tests out ok then I am not sure what would be good to check next sorry.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

Did all A4's come with a clutch switch? My car starts without the clutch depressed and I figured that the crazy Germans had a reason not to add it. If you really think that it is a starter you could bump start it to test but you better have some strong friends to push the car back up the hill if that isnt the answer

Old 09-23-2008, 08:45 PM
2nd Gear

Sounds too complicated. All that ignition stuff doesnt sound too good. It very well may be an electrical issue. Sometimes when I have exhausted my effort in diagnosing a car, I take it to a reputable repair facility and pay to have it diagnosed, then I take it back home and repair it myself. It may cost you $100. Then again, I have a p/u truck and tow dolly, and AAA if necessary to do the towing. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 PM
2nd Gear

this may be a stupid question...but you did get a new key right? im not sure w/ audis but i know w/ VW if you put the wrong key in, it wont start and it sort of 'locks' the car, as in you wont be able to start it until you reflash. check to see if theres a little key symbol on your dash board.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:11 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jzobie
Did all A4's come with a clutch switch? My car starts without the clutch depressed and I figured that the crazy Germans had a reason not to add it. If you really think that it is a starter you could bump start it to test but you better have some strong friends to push the car back up the hill if that isnt the answer
pre-98's didn't have them.

as for your problem i have no idea. but see if it will push start

Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 PM
4th Gear

if the wheel locks, then turn the wheel while u turn the key and the wheel should unlock, happens to me a lot...

does your car atleast try to turn over, is the starter running? u might need a new battery or to change your spark plugs