B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Twincharging the 2.8?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

Well you see guys. The reason im interested in doing this is because I don't plan on ever selling my B5.. so if I end up not overhauling the 30v, then I will probably look for another motor.

Im not going to sit here and say im an expert but a little trouble wont scare me away. Besides I would love to attempt the swap and provide you guys with details on its progression.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Pbcrazy
What would the point of that be? I have a friend with a chipped gti vr6 and I beat him every time we race, he also never stops complaining about how hard it is to work on.
You beat him with your 1.8t?

Old 09-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kamil`
Probably. N/A VR6 < chipped turbo 1.8T. The reason most guys do VR6 swaps is to slap a huge turbo on them and decimate at race wars. And because they sound awesome.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:32 PM
2nd Gear
Question

Ya, he has major wheel spin since its fwd, in a 0-70(highest speedlimit in my area) ill get him by about 4-5 car links.
Back on topic, I have an extremely limited knowledge of vr6's so why would you want a vr6? They have 24 valves vs the 30 of a 2.8 and the same displacement, so why wouldn't throwing a bat on a 2.8 work better than a vr6?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Legal Moderator

the 2.8 isn't built for boost. the 2.7 is. they are basically the same engine design (blocks are identical except for main bolts and bore size) but the 2.7 comes from the factory ready for boost. you could essentially turn you 2.8 into a 2.7, but it would cost more than just buying a 2.7. and more valves doesn't mean more better. all the new audi engines are 4 valve designs. less moving parts. and you can actually get more air inside the engine with 2 intake valves versus 3. 3 valves take up a lot of valuable combustion chamber real estate. 2 valves take up less space and can be larger to overcome 1 less valve.

as for the vr6's being used, people do it to do something different. not too mention (riding on what I said about valves earlier) many people opt for the earlier 12v vr6. only the later ones were 24v.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

That being said; you guys think strapping a 2.7t intake manifold onto the 2.8 and trying to turbo charge it makes more sense? I was planning on leaving the 30v out on a engine cradle and overhauling the entire thing anyway.

The VR6 mod just seems very intriguing. Ive seen a couple youtube videos and that roar it gives off is amazing.

The 4.2 40v is something I was interested in too but at this point I'm not sure which project makes the most sense.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:59 PM
2nd Gear

The money you spend on making a 2.8 strong enough to put down a decent amount of power would be much better spent on a 2.7t, you could easily pick up a block for around $500, sell parts off your 2.8 and work with that.

If you have to ask about a VR6 swap, then you shouldn't be doing it. Google it, it's not difficult.

You're ambitious, which is a good thing, but you don't know what you're getting yourself into.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:08 PM
1st Gear

I didn't ask anyone for details on how to do the swap I just asked you guys what you thought about twin charging an engine.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

See, to my understanding, the main advantage of twin charging is elimination of turbo lag by the form of a bypass valve that reroutes the compressed air straight into the turbo inlet, reducing or completely eliminating the time it takes for the spool to speed up.

One of the big disadvantages is the additional plumbing.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Legal Moderator

See, to my understanding, the main advantage of twin charging is elimination of turbo lag by the form of a bypass valve that reroutes the compressed air straight into the turbo inlet, reducing or completely eliminating the time it takes for the spool to speed up.

One of the big disadvantages is the additional plumbing.
WTF??? the purpose of a bypass valve is to vent extra boost so it doesn't back up to the compressor and cause it to stall.